Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm running a machine with 1 120mm case fan and a PSU fan for exhaust. I've seen a lot of blower exhausts that fit in a PCI slot and supposedly blow a lot of air. How much do you think two of those would help out the overall temperature of my rig? Worth $8-10 for 2 of 'em?

·
Registered
188 Posts
PCI slot fans usually just move air inside the case to a certain direction to help circulate the air to the way you have your fans set up. Is there anyway to get other fans for the case itself?

Not really sure how much temp it would decrease :/

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Not really. Heat rises, so they'd just be exhausting cool air that just came in through your front intake fan. If anything, they'd hurt your temps. The only way they could help is if you put them a couple of slots above your graphics card, to somewhat exhaust that heat. However, most of those fans have the fan facing up and blowing out, so it wouldn't really be pulling the heat away from your gfx anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
To ultimately get the best airflow through your case, you want this simple equation:

Air in = Air out

1 - 120mm fan in? = 1 - 120mm fan out.

If 1 in and 1 out isn't enough, then add another pair, 1 in, and 1 out.

If the 120mm fan intake is moving alot of air...then two blowers may help.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The case will hold up to 5 more fans, but most of them wouldn't help, I don't believe (3 free spots in the front, 1 on the side, and 1 in the back). I'm just wondering about the exhausts because I have 3 free spots on my mobo and only one cover
. If I could fill up two of the spots with things that are actually useful, that would be fantastic.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
PCI Exhaust fans move a little bit more than a 80mm fan. I have one, although it is true that hot air rises... because of the various fans you have in your system, the air is pretty well mixed. (hot air doesn't get a chance to rise)

·
Registered
14 Posts
on my gaming pc.. 1800+ oc 2000+ i have a digidoc fan controller.. no prbs for 2 yrs now since ive had it.. i currently have 2 intake fans on front blowing over the hds 2 intake on side.. 2 exhaust out the back and 1 ex out the top..all 80mm and another 1 that came with the fan controller but its a dink so it dont count.. and the psu dont coun either.. so far with air cooling my temps havent reached above 44c.. and the fans are programed to switch on when the temps rise.. 1 intake comes on 1 exhaust comes on and so forth.. ohh and i run all the fans off of a dedicated psu.. and the system drives and mobo and cpu cooler off the main psu.. happy happy joy joy

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Have you tried cutting out the metal mesh that the fans bolt to? Usually the small holes drilled into the sheet metal of the case don't really allow great airflow. Put your hand over them and then put your hand over an exposed fan and you will see the difference. Try buying some fan grills and then cutting out the mesh, putting the grills over where the mesh was and you will see a great difference in airflow. Cheap and effective way to improve airflow in your case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts