Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. I'm about to run disk defragmenter right now, but I dont really know how often I should do it. Thanks.

I currently have 1.96 fragments per file, 62% free space out of 233GB. 32% total fragmentation, 64% file fragmentation, 0% free space fragmentation,

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I analyze about once every other week and see if it needs it or not.

·

29,532 Posts
Like every 3rd day...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
by what terms do you decide if it would it need it or not, do you just go by if it tells you to when you analyze?

and is it ok to be doing things in the background while it defragments?

·

29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevsta112003 View Post
by what terms do you decide if it would it need it or not, do you just go by if it tells you to when you analyze?

For the last one; generally no.
Some special programs are optimised for this though (O&O has a special defraggin mode, called "stealth", which makes it possible to defrag in the background without bigger problems.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I defrag about twice a month on average. Sometimes longer cause I just don't think about it.

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
Whenever I remember to, or after uninstalled/installing a bunch of programs. And if the analysis suggests to do so, then I defrag.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Very little. I should do it more, but my old hard drives take forever to defrag so I don't get around to it.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Diskeeper 10 Pro every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

·
Premium Member
23,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevsta112003 View Post

If using the XP utility then I do what it tells me to do. I check if I have been doing a lot of Downloading, editting, transfering and organizing, installing/uninstalling.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
I do it like once a week....

I just do it no matter what...it has a very high "threshold" for what "needs" defragmenting.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
With the XP defragger I would do it whenever installing/removing a lot of large files. Now that I have diskeeper it just defraggs whenever I'm not using the disc.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Definitely after alot of adding or deleting programs and files. Aside from that I try for every two weeks but that usually rolls over into once per month. Along with weekly registry cleaning,spyware cleaning, disk cleanup, etc defragging once per month keeps me running fine.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
At least once a month...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts