Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does ATI cycle in a new generation of cards every year?

I remember about 3 years back there was the 8000-series on the NVidia cards, and the 3000-series was out with ATI (I think?).

And now there's the 5000-series.

Just wondering what their average cycle time is for a new series, and how long the 5000-series has been out. I have a 5770 card right now, but I'm thinking about whether I'll buy into the 6000-series, or wait it out to the 7000-series (honestly feeling it's safe to say ATI is offering the best product now and for a bit to come).
(the family computer has a 5770 also, so I'll just throw mine in that one so it runs crossfire... whenever I'm ready to move to a new card).

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Both companies have a 6-12 month cycle.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Both companies have a 6-12 month cycle.

Thanks.

But do you know about when the 5000-series was launched then? Because I can't seem to find it on google (my skills are lacking tonight).

Also, if you know an even further tidbit of info, I'd like to know when the last 4000-series card was released, so I can pit that against how long it was until the 5000-series launched.

Main reason is I'm just interested in kinda mapping things out. I want to do some computer modifications and such, and I need to spread my budget out and kinda guesstimate when I'll do specific things. The guesstimations are part of the fun, nothing I depend on.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ablearcher
View Post

58xx was launched in sept 2009

HD4860 was the last, iirc. Cut down 4890, which was already heavily late in the 48xx cycle

Ah, so basically immediately before the new 5000-series launched.

So I guess there's 3-6 more months approx until the 6000-series is released. Definitely will wait that time instead of buying into something more in the 5000-line
Considering the games that are out now.

·
Banned
1,251 Posts
Yeah I was chatting to me bro 2day, he was saying maybe a couple of months for the 6 series...
Hes still running 4870s in xfire and does well, got em cheap when they 1st came out so I am just catching up to his gaming goodness...
I did read elsewhere about the Fermi, and it doesn't look good, well $ wise...
I just got a 5850 and I am thinking, hmm time to upgrade again??.
Took me 2 years to go from an 8800GT.
Might just add another 5850...
Means another mobo, bigger psu...

Still this card does kick ass, and 1 of the best value on the market, bang per buck...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts