Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys i just got a pretty fat financial aid check in the mail and am going to be spending about 500 on upgrading my comp... here's what i had in mind.. the items on the left are what i currently have and the ones on the right are what i plan to upgrade to

Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester (1.8ghz) ------> (I plan to keep this!)*
Asus A8V deluxe mobo ------> DFI Lanparty Ultra-D UT (going to mod for SLI)
768 MB RAM (3 different sticks LOL) ------> 2GB G. SKILL ddr500
ATI Radeon 9700PRO ------> Geforce 7600GT or 7900GS
seagate 60 gig HD -------> not sure yet

*i plan to keep the processor and overclock it some once i have everything together.. what do u guys think about this upgrade? i'm estimating it to be around 500 dollars.. im getting the mobo used on ebay.

also, do you guys think i would need a good PSU? i've got a generic one thats suppose to be 400W i believe.. got it for 20 dollars about a year ago.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
definitely upgrade your psu and ram. if you need to allocate some money towards it, get a 1 gig kit of OCZ or Corsair XMS instead

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudd

definitely upgrade your psu and ram. if you need to allocate some money towards it, get a 1 gig kit of OCZ or Corsair XMS instead

wouldnt i get better OC'ing results with two gigs of G Skill? are you saying 1 gig of any decent RAM will be sufficient enough??

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Yep 1gb will be sufficent but to really get the most out of your rig 2 is best, but with the money saved on getting just one you could get a 3700 sandy maby if your lucky

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
if u want sli then just get the sli motherboard, becuase the sli bridge alone cost like $20, so u might as well not risk screwing anything up

·
Registered
717 Posts
Well I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the amount of ram you have doesn't really affect how high you can oc. A gig of ram should be enough for gaming and most applications. My theory would be that 2gigs of ram would show more if you had a dual core cpu since your cpu would be calling on more information to load into ram. You would get more from upgrading your cpu than from a 1gig to 2gig ram increase. I would take mudd's advice and get a gig dual channel kit and upgrade the processor. If you plan to oc, a stable psu is a good investment too. You didn't post your psu so I wouldnt be able to tell you if you should upgrade it.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by exad

Well I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the amount of ram you have doesn't really affect how high you can oc. A gig of ram should be enough for gaming and most applications. My theory would be that 2gigs of ram would show more if you had a dual core cpu since your cpu would be calling on more information to load into ram. You would get more from upgrading your cpu than from a 1gig to 2gig ram increase. I would take mudd's advice and get a gig dual channel kit and upgrade the processor. If you plan to oc, a stable psu is a good investment too. You didn't post your psu so I wouldnt be able to tell you if you should upgrade it.

how big of a differnce will i see with going with a dual channel 1gb kit versus having a single gigabyte stick? a while back i posted that i was planning on buying a dual channel kit for a total of 2 sticks and 1 GB (and then would upgrade with another gig of two sticks when i had money) and people told me i might as well go with a gig stick for now because having four 512 sticks would limit me in some way?? i actually have the money to go with 2 gigs but since u guys mention one would be enough id like to ask would having that second gig stick be worth the 100 dollars? if u guys tell me i wont see much improvement going with 2 gigs then i guess ill just get a one gig stick (or two 512 sticks?).. but i do have the money to go 2 gigs no problem just wondering if that second gig will even be put to work!

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by JBD1986

if u want sli then just get the sli motherboard, becuase the sli bridge alone cost like $20, so u might as well not risk screwing anything up

but the sli version costs about 80 dollars more and im good with electronics and the mod is a very simple mod it seems.. its just using a pencil to connect two points on the motherboard isnt it? so i think going with an ultra-d and modding it would be my best route.. and i wouldnt even be modding it right away because im not going to get a second vid card until i feel the need to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frostbite

Yep 1gb will be sufficent but to really get the most out of your rig 2 is best, but with the money saved on getting just one you could get a 3700 sandy maby if your lucky

do u really think i should look into a new processor? i still feel like my computer is pretty fast but with multi-tasking it slows down so i think i just need RAM to be satisfied right?

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I had a 3000+ venice @ 1.8 and it was a drag I couldn't do anything on it and not even being able to alt n tab out of a game which sucked.
I would still save the money for a new cpu if you do get the 3700 it will serve you well

·
Premium Member
2,834 Posts
Just listen to me:

Dont get 3 sticks of ram. The DFI will hate it. Get to a 2gb kit of either OCZ or G.Skill (try and get ddr500 ram).

The Ultra-d mod has become harder as nvidia but a epoxy layer over the pencil mod area which means you need to remove that first and its quite tricky.

DFI has to have a psu with at least a 480w rating! My PSU is a branded 480w Enermax and it struggles.

Get yourself an OCZ Gamexstream 600w or 700w.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Fury
Just listen to me:

Dont get 3 sticks of ram. The DFI will hate it. Get to a 2gb kit of either OCZ or G.Skill (try and get ddr500 ram).

The Ultra-d mod has become harder as nvidia but a epoxy layer over the pencil mod area which means you need to remove that first and its quite tricky.

DFI has to have a psu with at least a 480w rating! My PSU is a branded 480w Enermax and it struggles.

Get yourself an OCZ Gamexstream 600w or 700w.
first of all, im definitely going to be going with a gameXstream PSU and I think I'm going to go ahead and get G skill 2 gigs of it. The Fury, do you know how specifically, to get past the epoxy layer and is it a laborous task? im getting my ultra-d from ebay so i should be hoping its one of the older versions that doesn't have this epoxy youre talking about? The Fury do u think i should upgrade from my 3000+ winchester core to a sandy 3700?? my winchester isabout two years old now. the only game i really play is HL2/CS:S.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
have you looked at an epox sli or an ASUS sli board? they run around 110-130, modding a mobo makes me un easy... thats just me though...

Also, my 3000+ venice is awesome, I have a 600mhz oc happening at very low temps, with minimal vcore increase... I dont know how it compares to a winchester... just another thought..

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
i would suggest upgrading you cpu instead of the extra gig of ram. you dont really need the extra ram, and css is heavily cpu dependent

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy9000

i would suggest upgrading you cpu instead of the extra gig of ram. you dont really need the extra ram, and css is heavily cpu dependent

so u suggest i get one gig of G skill and upgrade my cpu? would u recommend two 512 sticks? i do plan on getting a second gig later on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts