13,477 Posts
Sounds like overkill to me.

·

29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by error10 View Post
Sounds like overkill to me.
I'm thinking this too.
Don't forget that no matter the encryption, it can still be cracked if you have an insecure password (such as asdf1234)

·
Registered
1 Posts
In a nutshell, using a cascading cipher system such as this is not, contrary to posted opinion, overkill. It does, in fact, make your file more secure and here is why.

No cipher has been theoretically proven to be unbreakable except maybe for a one-time pad. Thus some recurring properties may be found in the ciphertexts generated by the first cipher. Cryptanalysis done on these properties could expose a vulnerability; but by obfuscating it twice more, cryptanalysis becomes orders of magnitude more bothersome.

Hey, I have a simple thumb turn lock on my door knob. - Good.
Hey, I have a thumb turn lock, and a dead bolt on my door. - Better.
Hey, I have a thumb turn lock, dead bolt, and one of those chain thing-ies on my door - Best.

--- DJT9000

·
Banned
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djt9000;14098796
In a nutshell, using a cascading cipher system such as this is not, contrary to posted opinion, overkill. It does, in fact, make your file more secure and here is why.

No cipher has been theoretically proven to be unbreakable except maybe for a one-time pad. Thus some recurring properties may be found in the ciphertexts generated by the first cipher. Cryptanalysis done on these properties could expose a vulnerability; but by obfuscating it twice more, cryptanalysis becomes orders of magnitude more bothersome.

Hey, I have a thumb turn lock, dead bolt, and one of those chain thing-ies on my door - Best.

--- DJT9000
Exactly what I was going to say

Argorn5757 I know you're using Truecrypt because thats what most people use to get AES-Twofish, and AES-Twofish performs very good compared to other cascaded cipher. I only use tripple ciphers for certain things, using a two fold cipher covers up many of the "would be" easy ways in.

OP, its not overkill. Its secure. AES-Twofish with SHA-512 IMO is the best

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
dont forget to use a strong password 2!, friend was like m shiz in uncrackable his password was really easy to guess

·
Banned
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDProb;14107612
dont forget to use a strong password 2!, friend was like m shiz in uncrackable his password was really easy to guess
yup

All the encryption in the world can't help you if your password is your dog's name, or something short

I would recomend a minimum of 15 characters with AES/SHA512

and use every type of symbol you can possibly remember

·
Banned
2,902 Posts
Everything is as only as strong as your password. 12 random characters, upper case, lower case and different ascii characters eg $# and such in your password and it should be rock solid

·
Banned
2,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djt9000;14098796

--- DJT9000
Gtx 570 sli = 500 000 passwords per second
You can have a tripple steeldoor on it with the hardest armor guarded by chuck a security guard. doesn't help if the guard is sleeping infront of it with the key next to him

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Every time I hear about these I think of this XKCD comic:

security.png

You don't need that kind of security on a thumb drive; if you really think you do, then get something like a Kingston Datatraveler Vault Privacy. 128bit AES encryption, and best of all; the thief/government would only have a few chances to guess the password, or the drive wipe's its self (you can set it between 3 and 15 tries).

·
Banned
2,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueg50;14110788
Every time I hear about these I think of this XKCD comic: You don't need that kind of security on a thumb drive; if you really think you do, then get something like a Kingston Datatraveler Vault Privacy. 128bit AES encryption, and best of all; the thief/government would only have a few chances to guess the password, or the drive wipe's its self (you can set it between 3 and 15 tries).
yeah that will mean they will torture you for it lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts