Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
Since I discarded buying a UPS for my computer (most of them produce simulated sine waves which don't pair well with Active PFC PSUs), i was thinking how well "new" SSDs tolerate the power outages.

Are they too sensitive to power loss at the point that some of them can be permanently damaged if a writing operation was going on when the power loss occurred?
I'm asking all of this because I was thinking about buying a SSD to run my OS. The idea was first have a UPS so I wouldn't have to worry for power outages, but since pure sine wave UPS are extremely expensive, I'm skipping that option (And I can't use the CyberPower ones because they are made for 120v electric grids, and here in Argentina we use 240v electric grids).

Also, are there any difference (regarding this topic) between a SATA3 SSD or a M.2 PCIe? I mean, both of them are "equally durable"?

Thanks.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,873 Posts
You don't need a UPS unless you're worried about losing data when the power goes out. A (good) surge protector will save any hardware.

·
Registered
70 Posts
UPS is good to have time to save anything not already saved then shutdown. With journaling filesystems no damage will be done, only unfinished transactions would be discarded. Damage to the hardware can be made not because of power surge, rather
unstable voltage, and thunder. There UPS save a day.

·
Mining the DB
2,333 Posts
You don't need a UPS unless you're worried about losing data when the power goes out. A (good) surge protector will save any hardware.
Agreed. If your worried about unstable voltages then get a surge protector.
As far as data loss during power failures, your pretty safe here. In fact i would possibly thing a traditional HDD would be worse off because of the access times and write speed differences.
The HDD would be writing to a physical disk on failure, at a slow speed, whereas with the much faster speeds of the SSD, it can safely write the current block before going offline.

With regards to M.2 vs SATA. If your motherboard has a M.2 port, go M.2 no questions asked. Its connected directly through PCI-E so latency is slightly faster, its easier to install (0 cables, like literally 0 cables :p), its a cleaner look after install (Again 0 cables), they can be alot faster depending in your budget and requirements.

Thats my 2c.
Hope it helps

·
Iconoclast
30,430 Posts
Most surge protectors aren't power conditioners, they just clamp voltage surges over a certain level. A quality PSU isn't going to let slightly dirty AC power have much effect on DC output quality.

Anyway, I cheap modern M.2 and SATA SSDs that have survived hundreds, even thousands of unsafe shutdowns without any issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts