Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a x800GTO for Christmas and the fan is loud. It runs around 42c and I was wondering if that was ok and how I should get it to run quieter/cooler for ocing. I though if I could make it cooler I could turn the fan down. I don't have a 3pin connector on my motherboard or psu so It has to a 4 pin connector.

A- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835150007

I read a guide @ www.creativemods.com on how to make a $3 video card fan. It takes two 80mm fans and you just zip strip them on the case by your video card.

B- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835888309

PCI blower. I herd that they are loud/They are quiet. They work good/They are POS.

I'm Only Looking To Spend 10 Bucks And Has To Be 4 Pin Connector

Any Ideas/Suggestions On A good Expasion Slot Fan?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Well, here is my long winded two cents...

Most stock GPU coolers, draw air from the front and exhaust at the rear - basically injecting warm air into the case (passing over the volt reg sink along the way...)

If your vid card is running warm with stock coolers, you need to look at where it is *intaking* the air from. Do you have a full size PCI card that runs warm right next to it? (Like sound?) Can you clear that slot next to vid card?

Adding a *good* blower might help (sorry, link doesn't work) - basically you are hoping that by adding some extra draw of air near the GPU air intake, you will pull some cooler air towards it. You may, however, pull warmer air towards it. (Depends on case layout and air flow.) If you can reverse the blower (to blow in, not out) then that may be a plus (injecting cool outside air near the GPU cooling intake.)

You might get an improvement by strapping some fans together to soak the cooling side of your card with mass airflow - or you just may stir up your airflow so that overall cooling in your case decreases. You may also intraduce issues with the GPU cooling unit (added airflow can disturb can rotation, harmonics, etc.) Your hope here is that you will draw cooler air form somewhere and generall add cooling by having lots of wash over the card.

In general, you want to think of airflow in your case before injecting extra fans. If you have a fan on the front blowing in, and an exhaust fan in the rear blowing out, your video card could be in a dead spot. Sometimes just removing the slot cover (or whatever that thing is called that is just a place holder for slots in back of case) to maybe allow either some extra intake from the rear - or allow air to flow out (again, depending on case...) might help a little.

Your case and its air flow will detirmine what works best for you.

You could look at modifying stock cooler (thermal paste, etc.)

Or save up and get Arctic coolers that revers the intake (take air from in case, wash over GPU and exhaust out the back of the case.)

·
Registered
824 Posts
I would guess that your GPU fan is an intake fan.

Throwing a blower next to it may help a lot - but I have no idea about that model.

http://www.satansmurf.com/ocnet/airflow1.jpg

(Fun with sticks and figures
)

Basically, you are hoping that by adding exhaust near the GPU intake, you will increased the airflow to that part of the case (the arrows under the GPU...)

Personally, I would not just strap fans together to add more blowing power - just mess with dynamics. They can be handy for passively cooled items though - like RAM, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'll just break down and get a ATI Silencer but if this PCI blower idea will work I'll go for it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Ifn you only have one fan, then a blower will probably help by exhausting the hot GPU air and hopefully help get a better draw from the intake fan. A 3rd party GPU cooler woud help - I am betting you have a dead air situation. (So make sure it exhausts out of the case or pulls in outside air.)

Your current config (if that is the air flow of your GPU) is basically sucking in air from the CPU/everything else (ie. hot air) and exhausting it.. then probably sucking back in a % of the exhaust as well.

What would probably help more is adding a fan to the front (if you can) blowing in and reversing the back fan to blow out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might be wrong. The gpu is blowing the hot air to the front and sucking in air from the rear. So I have to be able to blow air in with the pci blower. My rear fan does blow air out instead of in. It seems the front part of my case is really hot. Should I put a fan on the side of my case? Blowing air in or out? I would probably wont to blow that air out but then I have no place that I am blowing air in, so I would wont to put a blower blowing air into my case. When it means 4 pin does it mean like the ones that plug into your hard drive/optical drive?

I'll post pictures tommorrow if needed. I'm on 56k

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think most GPUs are intake fans (so it blows air taking it in through the fan, and out through the back..) They work by the same principle as the blower (the style, shape of the blades push the air sideways and along edge to desired opening.)

You can test it by taking a pencil and attaching something very light and *non-metallic*.. I have a stick with a small piece of plstic (about like a human hair) that I use to check air directions.

As to case fans..
Yes, one on front, one on back. Not sure what kind of case you have, so not really sure what would be possible

But to protect your investment, a few buck in fans can go a long way. If your rear fan is blowing out, your front fan should blow in. There are probably passive vents on the front of the case that are letting the air in that the rear fan is currently ejecting.

Currently, adding a blower will increase the chance of more of that air getting to your video card (GPU).. Probably not most efficient, but would probably help.

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts