Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
If you have the Styrofoam pieces etc., that original box is probably the best bet.

And make sure everything inside is either padded or anchored down (or both). If it has a big heatsink, might want to consider removing it & pkg it separately.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a bolt threw cpu heatsink, doubt itll come off and yeah i have the original pc case box with the like 5inch styrofoam lol, i sold it to him 515$ via western union and just picked the money up so i gotta send it. i stuck like 100 fragile stickers on the box. lmao

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spct
View Post

I would use the box your case came in then pack that in another box with lotsa bubble wrap on all 6 sides

That is the way to go. I shipped a PC off to a friend of mine in New Jersey and unless the box wasn't wrapped in at least 3 inches of bubble wrap before it was put in the other box UPS would not insure it. Not sure on USPS's policy is with that. I do know that if you are shipping it out of country USPS requires you to file all the customs paper work yourself but UPS will do it for you.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
If the heatsink is attached, attach it with foam on the sides, do not ship USPS only Fedex or UPS. I would recommend UPS and insure it will full insurance. Make sure there is padding everywhere, on all sides.

If you are shipping WC, either ship it freight up on a pallet with the WC filled, or drain it and provide instructions on how to ship it.

·
Music Producer
4,860 Posts
When I ship computers I put it in the original box with the styrofoam pieces and add a bunch of packaging peanuts in with it. Every computer ive built for someone ive shipped it this way through UPS. Always got their safely and in working condition.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by renji1337
View Post

its a bolt threw cpu heatsink, doubt itll come off and yeah i have the original pc case box with the like 5inch styrofoam lol, i sold it to him 515$ via western union and just picked the money up so i gotta send it. i stuck like 100 fragile stickers on the box. lmao

Not necessarily worried about it coming off. Worried about it bouncing around and pulling on and damaging the motherboard.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If your gpu has a rather large or bulky cooling solution, you may want to consider taking that off or find some way to secure that firmly to the case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renji1337;13003129
If it's a heavy heatsink and the box gets slammed it might break the motherboard. At least pack some plastic air bubbles around the heatsink to keep it from whipping.

·
Registered
290 Posts
When shipping PC's with large or heavy coolers / Gpu's etc that are at risk of becoming loose we oftern use these expanding foam bags

Moulds to the inside of the case and keeps it as secure as you can hope for.

At the end of the day, transit damage is always just down to how its handled no matter what steps you take.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
well... when i moved from south africa to the UK.... i shiped my rigs...

the way i did it, was in the original box's and then i wrapped 4 layers of the packaging bubble wrap around it and stuck fragile on it.

when i got them the other side they where not badly marked at all (the wrapping) but, i payed loads of money from service and insurance. word of advice.... disconect the psu...... you never know if they will unwrap it etc... and mess around and if you got liquid in your rig and it spills and they switch it on, there is your rig gone.

but at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I shipped my computer in the original case box (with the original styrofoam plus some extra packing peanuts around the sides). The only thing that I'd suggest from my experience is doing something with the heatsink and GPU, especially if you have a large aftermarket CPU heatsink. I didn't remove mine or support it and the cpu ended up with a few bent pins (which luckily I was able to fix). Just a thought.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts