Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Dont worry about upgrading

Votes: 8 57.1%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im looking to upgrade my rigs graphics for some titles this year. I don't get to game terribly often, so when I do I like my graphics pristine and perfect. That being said I suspect a couple of titles will push my 5970 so I want to upgrade.

What Im wondering is if I should:
1. Grab a 5870 to trifire with
2. Grab another 5970 and quadfire like a champ
3. Upgrade to 6k series
4. Not worry about it because games aren't going to push that hard

Any input on this would be nice. Oh and if you vote, can you please comment on why you voted that way too. Especially on the 6K series as I haven't payed a whole lot of attention to them.

EDIT: Money isn't a huge deal, but id rather not spend more than $300 out of pocket.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
Unfortunately there is no poll - that being said - I would just stick with what you have or grab another 5870 since they are fairly inexpensive and go that route. 5970's are champs for cards and should beast most any game out there at your resolution. Quad fire from what I've read has lots of issues, tri-fire is pretty much the highest you want to go to get proper GPU utilization.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Anything past Tri-Fire for the HD 5x00 series is pointless since the scaling is terrible then. If anything I'd add another HD 5870 or just wait for the HD 7990 that will probably release Q1 2012. The HD 5970 is still a beast of a card.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Actually, two 6970s are better than a 5970. Why? You have 2gb of video memory- meaning higher resolution capability.
wink.gif

I run a 5970 and 5870 and it works wonderfully
smile.gif
But I really doubt you need the 5870 though. The 5970 is an amazing card and should and probably will be able to run titles for 2011 just fine. I would save your money and if it cant run the games like you want, then upgrade..

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So im getting the feeling the consensus is that it wont be necessary?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts