Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built my new computer just 2 months ago with a Kraken X63. I vaguely remember the pump being pretty quiet during the first days but recently, it makes a rattling sound that is completely audible with the glass panel on. I have bad memory about things and I can't tell for sure whether I have a problem or not.

I googled the "problem", did the "remove pump and shake" step but I only removed the pump and not the rad. I fire up the computer again, the pump was quiet for about 30 seconds and the rattling started again. I'm not sure if that's the indication I need for a problem, because the pump could very well be dormant during the quiet few seconds so I'm not sure if there's air bubbles getting stuck at all.

So, to OCN members who have perfectly healthy AIOs, is it supposed to be silent? Or does it make a pumping noise?

If I can get a good evaluation of my situation and it turns out to be kind of bad, I might consider removing the pump again and fix the issue, not even for longevity of the component, but for the peace of mind that things aren't making annoying sounds next to me.

1,147 Posts
AIO pumps are quite gentle and much quieter than the loudest PC parts like standalone pumps or HDDs, but not quite "I can keep it right next to my ear" kind of quiet. This is however due to whining "driving" vibrating noise, not the rattling. You should only hear some air/water bubbles right after power on and the pump noise should be constant vibrating noise, if it starts rattling 30 seconds after powering on then there is something wrong with the unit.

• Rep+
Reactions: HarrisLam

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
never heard rattling sounds from any of my AIO coolers,,i took one apart once and i cant imagine whats rattling in yours,,

·
Registered
244 Posts
No sure about the AIO but have the DDC pump and it is silent. DDC not best from what I told but it 9 months old use every day so maybe I get lucky. Air bubbles maybe could cause noise but sound like you been testing different things. :unsure:

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,715 Posts
I built my new computer just 2 months ago with a Kraken X63. I vaguely remember the pump being pretty quiet during the first days but recently, it makes a rattling sound that is completely audible with the glass panel on. I have bad memory about things and I can't tell for sure whether I have a problem or not.

I googled the "problem", did the "remove pump and shake" step but I only removed the pump and not the rad. I fire up the computer again, the pump was quiet for about 30 seconds and the rattling started again. I'm not sure if that's the indication I need for a problem, because the pump could very well be dormant during the quiet few seconds so I'm not sure if there's air bubbles getting stuck at all.

So, to OCN members who have perfectly healthy AIOs, is it supposed to be silent? Or does it make a pumping noise?

If I can get a good evaluation of my situation and it turns out to be kind of bad, I might consider removing the pump again and fix the issue, not even for longevity of the component, but for the peace of mind that things aren't making annoying sounds next to me.
Asetek CLC pumps are not silent, but the rattling sound is not normal and is an indication of another issue. A rattling type of sound is usually associated with the fluid level being low, but could also indicate an impeller issue.

AIO pumps are quite gentle and much quieter than the loudest PC parts like standalone pumps
You are saying that CLC pumps are quieter than D5s? Oh, boy......

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,387 Posts
Just another wrench in this discussion, the "noise" is not only from the frequency generated from the impeller but also the vibrations. The transfer of energy from a pump (in custom water cooling setup) is usually passed directly into your case. Essentially turning your case into a diaphragm (loud speaker).

I don't believe small pumps included / mounted directly to a block (which is mounted onto a CPU or GPU) typically experience these issues. However, with external pumps, like a D5, you typically mount it to a reservoir / case and that in turn, may vibrate. Depending on the speed (RPM) of the unit.

Dampening the mounting locations helps a lot. I use little silicone washers which help absorb the vibrations.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What is the AIO's radiator orientation in the case?

A picture can be worth a thousand words here.

You mentioned you removed the block\pump and shook it and remounted and that made the sound go away for half a minute before it came back.

Wondering if the pump is cavetating, that could cause a rattling sound.

1,147 Posts
You are saying that CLC pumps are quieter than D5s? Oh, boy......
By far, at least the ones I've seen, which were mostly Corsair AIOs and MSI 2080 Ti Sea Hawk X, especially this one, it was not Asetek though if I recall correctly. They are not exactly quiet, quiet is when there are no moving parts inside the case, but having something even more acoustically unpleasing than D5 doesn't seem possible, unless someone is using angle grinder instead of fans to create airflow.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
By far, at least the ones I've seen, which were mostly Corsair AIOs and MSI 2080 Ti Sea Hawk X, especially this one, it was not Asetek though if I recall correctly. They are not exactly quiet, quiet is when there are no moving parts inside the case, but having something even more acoustically unpleasing than D5 doesn't seem possible, unless someone is using angle grinder instead of fans to create airflow.
Very easy to be quiet when the flow is crap. Little bit a difference between a D5 at max speeds and a POS AIO that has a modded pump that barley does 25% of the D5's flow.

1,147 Posts
Very easy to be quiet when the flow is crap. Little bit a difference between a D5 at max speeds and a POS AIO that has a modded pump that barley does 25% of the D5's flow.
That's true, this is basically where the difference in noise comes from, AIO pump is much weaker and smaller, so this is not a direct comparison at the same flow rate, but still, you can have reasonably quiet AIO and you cannot have quiet D5 under any circumstances no matter what.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
That's true, this is basically where the difference in noise comes from, AIO pump is much weaker and smaller, so this is not a direct comparison at the same flow rate, but still, you can have reasonably quiet AIO and you cannot have quiet D5 under any circumstances no matter what.
I strongly disagree. I have 4 of them and they are dead silent.

·
I can count to potato
878 Posts
I'm curious to see what poor abused D5 this guy has that's louder than a CLC.

OP... Have you tried raising and lowering the pump speed? Or tilting the case while its running to get the air bubbles to move out of the pump.

·
Graphics Junkie
3,258 Posts
very

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,715 Posts
I've had over 100 CLCs, and a number of D5s. If your D5 isn't quieter a CLC pump at normal operating speeds, it is entirely due to a defective D5 or user error.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had pretty much every kind of DDC variant, an old Vario D5 and more recently a new PWM D5. Any DDC from the 10W spec and down will be inaudible assuming it's vibration isolated. Same applies for the new D5s. The vario D5 I had like 15 years ago I hated, but it was an OEM frame and hard mounted to my case, so I don't count that now.

·
Old and Decrepit
2,052 Posts
I strongly disagree. I have 4 of them and they are dead silent.
Other than my disdain for AIOS.....They are no more proficient at cooling than a good air cooler and even jay no sense did a vid comparing a cheap amazon Noctua knock off thinking the AIO was going to do better and got a surprise! The cheap air cooler did much better.

Now off to the noise issues on pumps. Im with the above. I have 3 D5s in my system about to be 5 of them and I dont hear jack. A mouse farting makes more sound. One important factor when you run multiple PWM pumps is you can tune them slightly offset and achieve acoustic noise cancellation. Even if I have them all wide open I have to open my case and put my ear up to them to hear them. The other thing is while all D5s are made from a Laing design, they are not all the same. Im running Next D5 and primochill enhanced. Ive run a lot of brands over the years and these two seem to put out the most performance without a lot of noise. Swiftech vario is probably one of the loudest creations ever to come to D5s. You can crank a dial but you don't get the full control from just above stall to 100% that you get out of a high quality PWM D5. I could hear the pump in a brand new Corsair H115i, high pitched and annoying. It lives in my kids PC because he cant hear crap with a sold case and headphones on. Its only cooling a 7700K quad core. I used to use it as a test set up until I entered the realm of HEDT and it just cant handle it, especially anything 14 cores and more, never mind once you put an OC on it. Does OK for about 30 seconds until its soaked then the CPU and liquid temp just continues to climb.

·
Iconoclast
30,977 Posts
Rattling usually means there is air in the pump chamber, or you have cavitation. The former should be easy to sort out unless you have a leak or fluid level issue. The latter should be impossible unless you've refilled the CLC with a lower viscosity coolant, or are overvolting the pump.

Damage to the impeller or it's bearing could also cause such noises, but this should be hard to do in normal operation unless it was defective from the get go or is very old.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
i dont know how accurate the RPM monitors are on these AIO coolers,,i changed my H105 because the RPMs were fluctuating well over 100 rpm,it didnt make any bad noices just didnt cool as good..

another thought my H105 has interchangable different colored plastic,,its not something as simple as loose plastic,,i dont know anything if the OPs cooler has that option or not

·
Registered
103 Posts
I havent read all the comments in case someone else wrote about it.The rattling sound that you hear is air trapped in the pump compartment.Just let the pump run and the air will move to the radiator.If for any reason this persist more than a day(it should be fixed within a hour at most) you better take a closer look to your loop and orientation.I had the same issue with all my aio every time i moved the case or just tilted it.Ofc for all this to work your radiator needs to be higher than you pump.It is most likely you will hear any fan in your case than any asetek pump.They re not silent but the fans even at slow speeds makes much more noise.

·
Manual breath enabled
1,327 Posts
Picture of your build? Is the Rad above or under the Pump/Cpublock? Under -> bad. Above -> good

1 - 20 of 27 Posts