Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for people hu dont no that much bout cpus(including myself) we look at ghz and well thats how we make a hoice...y doesnt amd up there ghz as much as intel?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,430 Posts
The specifics are beyond me, and probably something only the engineers that make the processors would know, but the reason AMD doesn't up their clocks is because they're processor are more efficient and why crank the clock speed if you can already compete or win at lower clock rates. Don't have much to say on this one really
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:


Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

The specifics are beyond me, and probably something only the engineers that make the processors would know, but the reason AMD doesn't up their clocks is because they're processor are more efficient and why crank the clock speed if you can already compete or win at lower clock rates. Don't have much to say on this one really


okok so y did they go and lock the multi on the 64's...wuts the highest they could be clocked on like air and stuff.. but imagine the 64 is already as good, imagin if it had the same clock speed..i feel bad for intel
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:


Originally Posted by illusion34

okok so y did they go and lock the multi on the 64's...wuts the highest they could be clocked on like air and stuff.. but imagine the 64 is already as good, imagin if it had the same clock speed..i feel bad for intel

i dunno, i dont no if i miade the right choice on switching... someone back me up and tell me y i did again
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,702 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by illusion34

for people hu dont no that much bout cpus(including myself) we look at ghz and well thats how we make a hoice...y doesnt amd up there ghz as much as intel?

For starters, the amd processors that are about 1ghz "slower" than intel perform just as well if not better. On top of that Amd cpu's are considerable cheaper than Intel's cpu's. But I have had both amd and intel processors and the amd processors have never let me down. In my opinion, if AMD had equvalent processor speeds they would completely blow Intel out of the water.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,430 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by illusion34

i dunno, i dont no if i miade the right choice on switching... someone back me up and tell me y i did again

The 64 was a good decision, it's more than fast enough and you're ready for the 64-bit future.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by Crashed

For starters, the amd processors that are about 1ghz "slower" than intel perform just as well if not better. On top of that Amd cpu's are considerable cheaper than Intel's cpu's. But I have had both amd and intel processors and the amd processors have never let me down. In my opinion, if AMD had equvalent processor speeds they would completely blow Intel out of the water.


okok in ur guys opinion... on a 100$ budjet wats the best cpu colling thing to get
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,702 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by illusion34

i dunno, i dont no if i miade the right choice on switching... someone back me up and tell me y i did again

They lock the multi on the A64 for the same reason as the XP. If the cpu "can't" go faster than a higher end model then people will pay more for the faster cpu. It all has to do with marketing and making money really.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,430 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by illusion34

okok in ur guys opinion... on a 100$ budjet wats the best cpu colling thing to get

I'd say Thermalright XP-120, a really killer fan (delta maybe?) and possibley a fan controller if you got a loud fan and walk away with some money left.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:


Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

I'd say Thermalright XP-120, a really killer fan (delta maybe?) and possibley a fan controller if you got a loud fan and walk away with some money left.

nice but i was talking more in terms of heatsink plus new fan for heatsink
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
i cant be arsed to get intel and AMD roadmaps for their cpu workings but in short the reason amd dont need to match intel for GHz is down to the chips design, in theory AMD chips can do 3+3+3=9 operations per clock cycle, whereas intel can only do 3+3=6 operations per clock cycle, so to make up for the shortfall they need the extra GHz. i could go into much more detail but im sure thats enough to answer your question
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top