Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya men, i got the above "best" air cooler. This is the first time using TR mounting systems with screws!

How tight should i go? There are only 2 screws and at the moment i just go screw tighten until is feels tight, did not go another round. I looked at the mounting system and the screws did not flush with the hole, should i tighten further?

then there is the middle thumb screw, heard it is some kinky new pressure mount, i also heard tightening it would kill socket. Should i remove the whole screw, i think SA allows the complete removal of it.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tight like a virgin?
damn the new screw mounting system, no indicators on it, no proper instruction. i dont want to overtighten and kill it nor i do i want to undertighten and let it fall onto my gpu!

·
Iconoclast
30,429 Posts
All the way down.

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dansi View Post
Hey ya men, i got the above "best" air cooler. This is the first time using TR mounting systems with screws!

How tight should i go? There are only 2 screws and at the moment i just go screw tighten until is feels tight, did not go another round. I looked at the mounting system and the screws did not flush with the hole, should i tighten further?

then there is the middle thumb screw, heard it is some kinky new pressure mount, i also heard tightening it would kill socket. Should i remove the whole screw, i think SA allows the complete removal of it.
The kit should come with 2 sets of mounting systems, one for AMD and one for Intel.

From your description, it seems you are using the Intel's one. But you should use the AMD's for your Phenom II X4 940.

With the AMD's mounting system, you just tighten the 4 spring-loaded screws all the way down.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dansi
View Post

Tighten until the screws dont turn. They will only put the right amount of pressure. You wont completely depress the springs so dont worry about breakage. I have a silver arrow as well. Love it!

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
On my D14 there are spring on the screws, should just tighten them all the way, they'll stop at a certain point so that it won't damage anything.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have it. I tightened the screws until they wouldn't turn anymore and then I also tightened the center bolt thing all the way with their little custom wrench. Frankly I don't see why you wouldn't want to tighten it all the way.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by krameriffic View Post
I have it. I tightened the screws until they wouldn't turn anymore and then I also tightened the center bolt thing all the way with their little custom wrench. Frankly I don't see why you wouldn't want to tighten it all the way.
AMD's dont use the center bolt.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you notice that you've suddenly lost 2GB of RAM or the CPU socket is sinking into the motherboard...it's too tight.

Also - just out of curiosity - does the SA wobble around on the socket like the Venomous X does when you tighten it down?

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thefreeaccount View Post
If you notice that you've suddenly lost 2GB of RAM or the CPU socket is sinking into the motherboard...it's too tight.

Also - just out of curiosity - does the SA wobble around on the socket like the Venomous X does when you tighten it down?
I havent noticed any. When putting my board back into my case after installation, it was solid. The spring screws they used seem to work very well for the unit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts