Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys, i am sorry my English is not my mother language but i ll try to do my best.
My pc case is Be quiet pure base 500dx
On front l have z73 (3×120mm) water cool nzxt.
I have on top 2 fans 140mm as exhaust (Corsair LL 140 and Pure Wings stock pc case fan )
Rear l ve also have as exhaust a Corsair
LL 140mm
My psu is Corsair RM750x 80plus gold
On summer with room temp 28c when I play Call of duty during match GPU reach 80 degrees Celsius on game menu is 58-60-63c
Idle is 32- 35c
I believe the gpu msi supreme x is pretty big for this pc case.
However do you have any idea how to achieve better gpu temp.

Computer cooling Personal computer Computer hardware Electronic instrument Gas

·
Registered
787 Posts
Options would probably be limited, but see if there's enough room in the bottom rack to attach a fan blowing through to GPU from the bottom of the case. Or leave the windowed panel off, or if you are into modding and can make a hole in tempered glass for a fan to blow onto the GPU? Probably too hard..

• Rep+
Reactions: dor84

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,427 Posts
Your system is setup to favour CPU temps. Which is fine so you're options are limited in its current configuration. If you want to see the biggest impact with minimal effort, undervolt the card.

Also, consider swapping the radiator orientation by 180 degrees. Your CPU block (block, pump, reservoir) is lower than the top of your radiator. Sooner or later, air will collect at the top of your rad and make noise.

Nice system.

·
Registered
787 Posts
What about turning the AIO cooler and fans around? Instead have the air pull in from the back and top of the case and out through the rad? That would favour the GPU.

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,427 Posts
Difference would be negligible. CPU in gaming, even if we assume 12900K, will likely be 50-60w under load. Also, looks like its a 360mm rad up front. Not sure what GPU that is but it has 3 8 Pins. Min. 3080 / 6800 XT. Meaning 300w+ GPU in gaming.

I don't have RDNA 2 but I do have Ampere (3060 Ti) and I shaved 25% power consumption whilst keeping core clocks at ~1900 Mhz. 210w card runs at about 150 to 160w.

If OP has a 3080 or 3090, even assuming 20% reduction in power at 300w = 60 watts less. At those temps, OP is already loosing performance so an undervolt would be a simple solution. Guide here: Undervolting Ampere, GeForce RTX 3080 Hidden Efficiency Potential?

Edits: grammar / more context.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
First, repast and repad your GPU. That is generally be the best way to drop GPU temps.

Second, move the AIO to the top, top fans to the front, and reverse the rear fan to run intake. Should help GPU temps considerably and may help CPU temps as well as your AIO is upside down causing air to flow through your CPU block.

• Rep+

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your system is setup to favour CPU temps. Which is fine so you're options are limited in its current configuration. If you want to see the biggest impact with minimal effort, undervolt the card.

Also, consider swapping the radiator orientation by 180 degrees. Your CPU block (block, pump, reservoir) is lower than the top of your radiator. Sooner or later, air will collect at the top of your rad and make noise.

Nice system.
Τhank you
First, repast and repad your GPU. That is generally be the best way to drop GPU temps.

Second, move the AIO to the top, top fans to the front, and reverse the rear fan to run intake. Should help GPU temps considerably and may help CPU temps as well as your AIO is upside down causing air to flow through your CPU block.
Unfortunately aio doesn't fit on top

·
Registered
351 Posts

Not likely going to give him much. The MSI Suprim X is an excellent series of GPU's and the 3080/3090 usually don't go over 70C unless your airflow is hampered in some way. VRAM temps are also fine for gaming, no need to change the thermal pads (you guys been watching too many Ethereum Youtubers to make that claim). I'd say his biggest problem is the tight spacing in that case, not much air volume to speak of and having the AIO is intake is not helping either. PSU shroud is probably also costing him a bit of thermal problems, as they tend to do.

Obviously he can't move the AIO to the top of the case, since it's a 360mm so he needs a larger case, preferable one without a PSU shroud although the options aren't that great anymore.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Τhank you

Unfortunately aio doesn't fit on top
Oh...

Its a 360... did not see that.

Repaste/repad is your only other option I guess. If noise isn't an issue, a custom fan curve...? If money isn't an option, a new case 😬

• Rep+

·
Never Finished
2,504 Posts
To me it looks like a case problem. The radiator is a huge airflow restrictor especially when it's not spinning at higher rpms. The three exhaust fans are good for getting the heat out of the case, but you're not getting enough in to give the card what it needs. The radiator is also dumping heat into the case, and while it might be a small amount while not doing any cpu intensive loads, it's heat that will affect the intake temps of all of the components inside the case.

Some things you can do to tweak what you have is to remove all pci blanking plates, incrase radiator fan speeds to get more airflow in there, and if that doesn't cut it, then remove the side panel to let the graphics card get some fresh air.

Another thing you can do is to repaste your graphics card. I've had my 6900xt for about a year, and load temps started to creep up to 90C non-hotspot. I took the cooler off, and some parts of the die were bare. Repasted with some kryonaut I had lying around, and load temps dropped by 30C or so.

The best solution is to simply get a case that offers better airflow capabilities. The best airflow cases are dual chamber types that have bottom mount fans below the graphics card. A mesh front panel with good front intake fans are needed as well. Example cases are the Fractal torrent cases, enthoo pro 2 and haf 700.

·
H₂O Aficionado
5,427 Posts
A lot of good suggestions listed above but for first step of troubleshooting, try UV'ing the card. It's free and quick. Not to mention you're likely already being throttled in game when your GPU is at 80C. Have nothing to lose.

Even if user X had ideal airflow, Ampere is drawing too much power on stock.

·
Registered
Intel 4670k, 12 gb of ddr3. 3 ssd 500 mb/s. wx 4100 4gb radeon.
139 Posts
With the pc case lid on your graphics card is recycling hot air. And then using that hot air to cool your graphics card. Which pumps out more hot air then any cpu is capable of. And since it's water cooled... Best advice I can give is to leave the lid off your pc case. Place a table fan 2 to 4 feet away from the pc case and air it out with that. You will notice your temps will drop up to 20'Celsius. Also if you install Nvidia tune you can change the fan speed on the graphics card manually. So instead of waiting for the card to auto the fans to 80% and then 100% when it gets hot. Just run it at 100% all the time while gaming. there is a reason why most graphics cards have one suction vent and one blow vent. It's to keep the hot exhaust heat out of the case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To me it looks like a case problem. The radiator is a huge airflow restrictor especially when it's not spinning at higher rpms. The three exhaust fans are good for getting the heat out of the case, but you're not getting enough in to give the card what it needs. The radiator is also dumping heat into the case, and while it might be a small amount while not doing any cpu intensive loads, it's heat that will affect the intake temps of all of the components inside the case.

Some things you can do to tweak what you have is to remove all pci blanking plates, incrase radiator fan speeds to get more airflow in there, and if that doesn't cut it, then remove the side panel to let the graphics card get some fresh air.

Another
If i used one of the top fans as intake will i have any changes or is it pointless?

·
37 Cans of Ravioli
24,912 Posts
custom GPU fan curve + undervolt first. if that doesn't help then worry about trying something else.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
If i used one of the top fans as intake will i have any changes or is it pointless?
Probably have little to no affect :(

Its well established that having a front mounted radiator results in hotter GPU temps. In your case, the best thing is to get a new case and mount the AIO on the top. Its also a good idea as your current orientation can lead to hotter CPU temps and premature failure of the AIO pump as you are circulating air bubbles through the pump/top.

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
I think your doing about as good as you can do with that case and with how you currently have it configured. If your maxing out at around ~80C on your GPU core then I would consider that a success with your current configuration.

How are your VRAM temps, BTW?

Things you could do that might slightly improve your GPU temps?
  1. Leave side panel off. Quick. Easy. The only challenge would be psychological. Put the side panel back on if you are not gaming. Hell, if I had that setup? I'd take the side panel off and also have a quiet floor fan blowing into the whole case lol.

2. Mod your side panel with two or three smallish intake fans mounted below the GPU so the cold air travels up through the GPU and out via your existing exhaust. Cutting holes in acrylic is not hard. All you need is the correct size hole saw and a drill. Use a slow speed and a bit of soapy water to smooth things out. I recently put two 140mm exhaust fans in my own 780T case side panel to better cool my own 3080 ti GPU and it worked very well, dropping my GPU core temps from around 76C max to now about 70C max or lower. My case only had a single rear exhaust and the GPU was baking inside the case. Your situation is totally different so I would stick with the current configuration (fans) and find some way to send your GPU more cool air. Back to point #1 if your unable to put fans in your side panel.

3. Get a larger case. Here is a quick post I made about the side panel mod I did for the 3080 ti. My requirements were that the GPU core stays at ~70C max and my VRAM never went over ~80C. After a lot of testing, that did the trick. Not the prettiest arrangement but it works very well. I've used hybrid cooled GPU's until getting this 3080 ti and ever since the GTX980/1080/etc. but didn't want to mess with the 30 series hybrids (radiator is to big and generally bad VRAM cooling) so I had a bit of learning to do once I had an air-cooled card.
But bottom line? 80C or even a bit hotter is not going to cause you any performance issues. Short of some modding or getting a new case, that's about as good as your going to get.

Best of luck...

·
Still kinda lost
3,797 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: The Pook
1 - 19 of 19 Posts