Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Looking Ahead
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How To: Apply Anti-Aliasing in Mafia II

Allright, I thought it was a good idea to inform you guys that don't know how to turn on AA in Mafia 2. I only tested this on my nVidia cards since I don't own any gaming ATI cards at the moment (hence I posted this in the nVidia section).

First of all you'll need to disable the built in AA settings first in the game and then exit the game.

Then you need to go the "-Program files/Mafia II/pc" directory and rename the mafia2.exe to Jericho.exe

Next thing you need to do is to go to the nVidia Control Panel => manage 3d settings => click on the button "add" => browse through your game directory and select "Jericho.exe". The game will now be recognized as Clive Barker's Jericho which is what you want since you can now override the Anti-Aliasing settings. Do so and select the select the level of AA such as you would do with any other game (on GTX 400 cards I highly recommend using 8xQAA along with 8x Transparency supersampling for optimal visual quality and performance, this equals 8xSSAA). If these settings are too taxing for you GPU, just select multisample. This will already be much better than the built in AA settings.

Built in AA

2xSSAA

4xSSAA

8xSSAA

For Steam users there's also a solution. I haven't tested this method though.

Quote:
Yeah, tho sadly there doesn't seem to be an nhancer yet for recent (257+) drivers. But the old .exe renamer trick works well enough for me on 258.96, at least on Win7 x64..

For reference, gotta disable AA in the game settings, exit game, go to Nvidia Control Panel and under 'Manage 3D Settings' select 'Clive Barker's Jericho'.

Set up something like:
Antialiasing - Mode: Override
Antialiasing - Setting: 2x
Antialiasing - Transparency: 4x (supersample)

Copy the file Mafia2.exe found in \\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\mafia ii - public demo\\pc to a Jericho.exe (or just rename), make sure Steam is running, and start Jericho.exe.

Presto now the AA is actually applied all over and it still benches just as fast as with the in-game AA (or at least it does for me, on GTX480 with PhysX High at 1920x1080, average 33 fps).
(Source)

Let me know if this is helpfull or if I need to add something

·
MEGABYTE ME
2,765 Posts
I dont think Mafia II suffers that bad from lack of AA such as say GTA IV did but I would like to disable that yukky Motion blurr

·
Looking Ahead
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain318 View Post
I dont think Mafia II suffers that bad from lack of AA such as say GTA IV did but I would like to disable that yukky Motion blurr
I seriously beg to differ. The Moiré patterns in the cafés were driving me nuts and the cars looked horrible with all the jaggies. I'll have proof incoming in a minute

·
MEGABYTE ME
2,765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlademaster01 View Post
I seriously beg to differ. The Moiré patterns in the cafés were driving me nuts and the cars looked horrible with all the jaggies. I'll have proof incoming in a minute

Im just sayin it don't bother me. I think it looks quite good (My Eyes) coming from GTA IV but the motion blurr is just plain nasty

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Don't think my GPU could handle any more stress.

·
Looking Ahead
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dafour View Post
The ingame aa doesnt really change much true,would like to see the screenshots!
Pics are up now, maybe I should put them in thumbnail form since it really craps the loading time for this page

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain318 View Post
Im just sayin it don't bother me. I think it looks quite good (My Eyes) coming from GTA IV but the motion blurr is just plain nasty
Fair enough. Most of my friends game with 0xAA and 0xAF anyways and don't notice the difference

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg121986 View Post
Doesn't work with Steam...
Actually it does though I don't use Steam. When I got my GTX 470 Mafia II wasn't released yet

Here's a quote:

Quote:
Yeah, tho sadly there doesn't seem to be an nhancer yet for recent (257+) drivers. But the old .exe renamer trick works well enough for me on 258.96, at least on Win7 x64..

For reference, gotta disable AA in the game settings, exit game, go to Nvidia Control Panel and under 'Manage 3D Settings' select 'Clive Barker's Jericho'.

Set up something like:
Antialiasing - Mode: Override
Antialiasing - Setting: 2x
Antialiasing - Transparency: 4x (supersample)

Copy the file Mafia2.exe found in \\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\mafia ii - public demo\\pc to a Jericho.exe (or just rename), make sure Steam is running, and start Jericho.exe.

Presto now the AA is actually applied all over and it still benches just as fast as with the in-game AA (or at least it does for me, on GTX480 with PhysX High at 1920x1080, average 33 fps).
(Source)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Great find. +1 to the blademaster. I'll try it out on the steam.

Love this game. Love pushing cars off the bridge w/ people still in them. Wait for the gas truck. Push it off on top of the other cars already there. Pull out the shotty. Instant Mel Gibson movie.
Hint shoot at the gas tank w/12GA. Dont be to close.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlademaster01 View Post
Actually it does though I don't use Steam. When I got my GTX 470 Mafia II wasn't released yet

Here's a quote:
(Source)

·
Looking Ahead
13,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFPS View Post
Great find. +1 to the blademaster. I'll try it out on the steam.

Love this game. Love pushing cars off the bridge w/ people still in them. Wait for the gas truck. Push it off on top of the other cars already there. Pull out the shotty. Instant Mel Gibson movie.
Hint shoot at the gas tank w/12GA. Dont be to close.
Yeah it's an awesome game and it looks a lot better with AA

But mostly I like the story

·
Registered
712 Posts
The Steam solution doesn't work for the full game on Steam; you change the executable name and then you can't launch.

But I tried the alternative - apply AA compatibility hex code of Jericho into Mafia 2 using Nvidia Inspector - and that works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts