Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2900XT that has a bad bios. I've heard that blind flashing in such a situation can fix this situation. However, I'm unsure how to do a blind flash, has anyone here been through this and can give me a "how to"? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Find out from the manufacturer how to boot from a USB drive. Then make a bootable flash drive on another computer like this:

1. Make a USB bootable drive using this creator:
USB Boot drive (HPUSBFW)

2. Then download the boot files and extract them to a folder of your choice

3. Run the HPUSBFW program.

Select the correct USB device from the drop-down menu, set file system to FAT32 and check Create a DOS startup disk.

4. Then browse for the extracted boot files (now in the folder of your choice) and press start to begin formating it.

5. Put Atiflash onto it along with the original bios (can be DLed here). Make sure to name it something easy like "bios".

------------
6. Then put the USB drive in and hit the key to make it bootable (for my motherboard it is F8).

-------------

7. Wait a few minutes for the Dos to load and type: atiflash -p -f 0 bios.rom

8. Then wait about 5 minutes for the flashing to complete and reboot.

Edit 1: I'm curious if you can boot with a different card in the first PCI-E, and the bad card in the second. If so, you can flash the card in the second slot with the following:

atiflash -p -f 1 bios.rom
The numer 1 identifies it as the second card. if you want to be sure, look up how to read card info from within Atiflash. I think it is just -i

edit 2: I just found this by googling ATIflash commands. It seems to have everything you need, such as making a bootable CD etc... It also lists the commands.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=11

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericeod View Post
Edit 1: I'm curious if you can boot with a different card in the first PCI-E, and the bad card in the second. If so, you can flash the card in the second slot with the following:

atiflash -p -f 1 bios.rom
The numer 1 identifies it as the second card. if you want to be sure, look up how to read card info from within Atiflash. I think it is just -i

edit 2: I just found this by googling ATIflash commands. It seems to have everything you need, such as making a bootable CD etc... It also lists the commands.
Yup, that worked doing it like that with the other card in the first slot. It was easier too since I could see what was happening. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottb75 View Post
Yup, that worked doing it like that with the other card in the first slot. It was easier too since I could see what was happening. Thanks for your help.
Thats awesome. I wasnt sure if it would work with the bad card in the second slot, thanks for verifying. That is def good info to know!

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericeod View Post
Thats awesome. I wasnt sure if it would work with the bad card in the second slot, thanks for verifying. That is def good info to know!
Yea I've done that before myself. You can flash it as long as the good card is in PCI-E1. You can also do it with a PCI card.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by binormalkilla View Post
Yea I've done that before myself. You can flash it as long as the good card is in PCI-E1. You can also do it with a PCI card.
It made sense that it should work. I've been flashing my ATI cards lately becasue i cant OC with crossfire. I'm glad I picked up an X600 SE on the cheap just in case my cards' bios get corrupted. Just to be extra safe, I only flash them one at a time.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
i used a motherboard with on board graphics, when i messed up my hd2600xt, i then flashed it with winflash, worked great!

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by microman View Post
yup winflash ftw why anyone would use anything else is crazy to me
There's a greater chance on corrupting the BIOS in Windows instead of doing it in DOS. I've had a bad flash through no fault of mine....just luck of the draw I guess.
I had to just type the command blindly and it worked.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by binormalkilla View Post
There's a greater chance on corrupting the BIOS in Windows instead of doing it in DOS. I've had a bad flash through no fault of mine....just luck of the draw I guess.
I had to just type the command blindly and it worked.
That and I couldnt get winflash to work in Vista 64...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I did at bad flash when I came home drunk yesterday (i know ...), and today I try to make up for everything I did.

In short terms, a bad flash, I tried the Asus TOP bios on the card, the flash went ok, but it wont POST when I reboot. The motherboard gives me green-green-orange-red and nothing happens. unfortunately I dont have a PCI graphic card, and my mobo doesnt support two PCIe cards. So I wanted to blind flash, but it is useless as the computer wont even post with the graphic card in! Is there a way to. "force post" it? it seems like its stalling because the graphic card cant display anything.

Specs beneath

1 - 14 of 14 Posts