Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
On a single machine or on a network?

How computer savvy is the user(s)? You can point the unwanted IPs to nothing by editing the Host File.

·
No desktop currently :(
2,134 Posts
Easiest way (free too) is setup the computer to use OpenDNS and after that you can manually add websites you want blocked on their website (you have to have a free account). If the user of the computer is moderately computer savvy (which I think duckieho was getting at) they could delete the DNS settings in Internet Options and therefore evade your blocking attempts.
In that case, and if you want that site blocked on your entire network, setup the DNS settings in your router (which should be password-protected already). That way they can't disable it willy-nilly.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_0ctogon View Post
Easiest way (free too) is setup the computer to use OpenDNS and after that you can manually add websites you want blocked on their website (you have to have a free account). If the user of the computer is moderately computer savvy (which I think duckieho was getting at) they could delete the DNS settings in Internet Options and therefore evade your blocking attempts.
In that case, and if you want that site blocked on your entire network, setup the DNS settings in your router (which should be password-protected already). That way they can't disable it willy-nilly.
The easiest and fastest way is editting the Host File. Set the IPs of sites you want blocked to something else. Most common users will not know how to get around this and would apply to all browsers on that PC.

·
No desktop currently :(
2,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
The easiest and fastest way is editting the Host File. Set the IPs of sites you want blocked to something else. Most common users will not know how to get around this and would apply to all browsers on that PC.
I posted being fairly confident that you would return and pwn me
. Guess I was right...

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_0ctogon View Post
I posted being fairly confident that you would return and pwn me
. Guess I was right...
No worries, there's a whole bunch of ways. The OpenDNS way is a good way for a network. However, proxies can beat many methods.... so it really depends on the situation.

·
Premium Member
3,854 Posts
for me my router has a tab that all i have to do is put in words or websites and it will block all that have it in there url

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BFRD
View Post

+1 for the host file. I even wrote a faq on it a looong time ago.

link??

EDIT: i have updated hosts but i dont know where to input websitest that i want to block???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts