Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow PC Builders of any kind,

I am almost finished gathering material to start building my first water cooled rig. And I must say I am very excited about it. You have all been a great help in your writings and pictures and movies on how to go about setting up a water cooled system.

One question remains: What fan performs best on a Hardware Labs Black Ice SR-1 560 radiator. There's tons of information on rads, fans, CMF, dBa's, shrouds, no shrouds, etc.

Since the SR-1 is a low airflow radiator I gather you need special fans for this radiator. After reading lots of comparisons and graphs I decided on the NoiseBlocker BlackSilent Pro PK3 140mm. It's silent at low speeds but I can crank it up to 1700 RPM's for optimal air flow.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thank you and regards,

G.

·
unRAID Enthusiast
3,602 Posts
I have an SR-1 in the 360 configuration and I personally run Corsair HP SP120s on mine, which run at a little over 2k RPMs, but they work really well with the rad, however, they are a bit loud if you are looking for something that is completely silent (I would never call the Corsairs loud, per se, but I can hear them, just barely, when sitting at my desk, so they aren't silent).

Most people recommend the Scythe Gentle Typhoons in the AP-15 config, they are quiet and still move a ton of air. Really, with the SR-1, any fan that spins over 800 RPMs and moves a decent amount of air will work just fine, but I will say (from experience), even though the SR-1s work really well for sub 1500 RPM fans, they do scale well for fans spinning faster (i.e. I continue to see a consistant drop in temps as I increase the speeds of my fans).

Hope that helps, at least a little. Good luck with the build!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderMutt View Post

I have an SR-1 in the 360 configuration and I personally run Corsair HP SP120s on mine, which run at a little over 2k RPMs, but they work really well with the rad, however, they are a bit loud if you are looking for something that is completely silent (I would never call the Corsairs loud, per se, but I can hear them, just barely, when sitting at my desk, so they aren't silent).

Most people recommend the Scythe Gentle Typhoons in the AP-15 config, they are quiet and still move a ton of air. Really, with the SR-1, any fan that spins over 800 RPMs and moves a decent amount of air will work just fine, but I will say (from experience), even though the SR-1s work really well for sub 1500 RPM fans, they do scale well for fans spinning faster (i.e. I continue to see a consistant drop in temps as I increase the speeds of my fans).

Hope that helps, at least a little. Good luck with the build!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSK View Post

I have that fan myself and found it quieter and better temps than the other 140mm fans I tried: B-blaster, Akasa Viper and Silverstone AP141.
Thanks for your input!

At a certain point in time you just have to go for it. But.......

Cheerio!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts