Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ocz vert 2 ssd installed with windows 7, how can i get my boot time even quicker, is there any options i can change to get it to boot faster ?

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
For boot time I'm not sure, I don't think it can get any faster
wink.gif

Here's a list of tweaks you can do to increase your performance in Windows.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
u can try to upgrade to the vertex 3. for better IOPS. i dont think raid0 helps because of the increase in latency

·
Registered
160 Posts
There is a way to use all your cores instead of 1 i think to boot faster. i did it on vista once but i cant remember and now im on 7 anyway. Im afriad i dont know exactly what to look for but i figured this would point you in the right direction. 1 thing i am sure of though is just reduce the amount of start-up programs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
go to RUN and type MSCONFIG then BOOT change the time out from 30 to 3. that will save you lots of time, then go to Start up and remove the selection fromany UN-need softwares that start up with windows. simple leave the AV on and remove the others.

·
Registered
152 Posts
one more thing, change the boot pro. from the BIOS let your main OS drive goes first. by defualt it's 2nd after the DVD drive or what ever there. by doing this you will boot your pc with in 11 sec.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKransky;13058769
I have a ocz vert 2 ssd installed with windows 7, how can i get my boot time even quicker, is there any options i can change to get it to boot faster ?
How long does it take for your system to reboot right now? I don't mean the time it takes to boot, but the time it takes to restart from within Windows.

To find out, here's a tool that I prefer to use:

http://home.comcast.net/~twocables/Restart-Time.vbs

For best results, reboot first, wait like 30 seconds after Windows is finished booting, and then run this tool.

Edit: msconfig is for diagnostic purposes only (it's used when you're experiencing problems). Using that number of cores option doesn't do anything anyway.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Go to control panel -> system and security -> administrative tools -> view event logs
expand applications and services -> microsoft -> windows -> diagnostics-performance

should look like this
pics.png

here you can see programs or services that add extra time to your boot or shutdown.
look for ones with a larger time. if it is a service or program that you dont necessarily need, go to start menu and type in system configuration. go to the startup tab and you can disable some here. hope this helps

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
Or open the Start Menu, type "event viewer", and press Enter.
biggrin.gif

·
Engineer of Malcontent
5,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables;13069646

Edit: msconfig is for diagnostic purposes only (it's used when you're experiencing problems). Using that number of cores option doesn't do anything anyway.
Its not just for diagnostic. Everyone should use it to maintain a lite startup program list. Sometimes the more people install stuff the longer boot overtime will take. Using msconfig is a great way to shorten it.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaggio1103;13069742
Its not just for diagnostic. Everyone should use it to maintain a lite startup program list. Sometimes the more people install stuff the longer boot overtime will take. Using msconfig is a great way to shorten it.
With Services.msc, I can see everything. With msconfig, my choices are limited (when looking at its Services tab).

Even msconfig's help file says so:
Quote:
Using System Configuration

System Configuration is a tool that can help identify problems that might prevent Windows from starting correctly. You can start Windows with common services and startup programs turned off and then turn them back on, one at a time. If a problem doesn't occur when a service is turned off, but does occur when that service is turned on, then the service could be the cause of the problem.

System Configuration is intended to find and isolate problems, but it's not meant as a startup management program. To permanently remove or turn off programs or services that run at startup, see Uninstall or change a program.
So, I bypass this thing and I use Services.msc. I also check these three Registry keys:

Code:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Code:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Code:

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
On top of that, I recommend disabling all unnecessary things in the BIOS.

You can also turn off unnecessary Windows Features:

TCsWindowsFeatures.png

Of course, there's also Black Viper's site:

http://www.blackviper.com/

Finally, there are many things that start with Windows that go right to the Notification Area that don't need to be there.
smile.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranx;13069799
anyway to go from IDE in the BIOS to AHCI?
Yep! Here's an excerpt from an OCZ guide (http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?63273-*-Windows-7-Ultimate-Tweaks-Utilities-*):

Change from IDE to AHCI Mode after Installation

Information: AHCI stand for Advance Host Controller Interface. AHCI is a hardware mechanism that allows software to communicate with Serial ATA (SATA) devices (such as host bus adapters) that are designed to offer features not offered by Parallel ATA (PATA) controllers, such as:
  • Hot-Plugging
  • Native Command Queuing (NCQ) -might improve computer/system/hard disk responsiveness, especially in multi-tasking environment
You can read more about AHCI mode HERE

Instruction: There is one way to fix this, although you need to have knowledge of registry editing.
The detailed steps from Microsoft website are as follows:
  • Exit all Windows-based programs.
  • Press [Win] + R or take the RUN option from the start menu.
  • Now type regedit there and press Enter Key to open up the Registry Editor Window.
  • If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
  • Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\msahci
  • In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
IDE%20to%20AHCI.jpg

• In the Value data box, type 0 [3 is default], and then click OK.
IDE%20to%20AHCI%20modify.jpg
  • On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.
  • Restart your computer
  • Go to BIOS and enable AHCI, Save & Reboot
  • Another restart will be required to finish the driver installation.
Alternatively

Just download this Reg File and double-click to implement AHCI on your Windows-based computer.
Just remember to do the BIOS switch as well when you reboot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts