Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so like the title says guys i'm building a new rig and and i'd like to know how to hide those 3 or 4 pin cables from the fans that usually plug directly into the motherboard, when i look at peoples builds on here i dont see those cables plugged into the motherboard....would i need to get an adapter that connects them to molex or something? or a fan controller?...the new build will be a corsair carbide 240 fyi.
confused.gif

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Yup molex adapters and fan controllers are indeed one approach. I use a fan controller personally (NZXT Sentry Mix 2):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992012&cm_re=NZXT_Sentry_Mix_2-_-11-992-012-_-Product

This works nicely to clean up the cables since you just have to run a molex connector to the fan controller. Then all you have to do is just connect the fans directly to the controller. The nice thing about this one is the cables are quite long so you can run them behind the motherboard tray, for example, and keep your cables mostly out of sight.

Another approach is using a fan hub like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811997110&cm_re=NZXT_Grid-_-11-997-110-_-Product

Normally, you should be able to mount this behind the motherboard tray and plug all your fans directly into it. These are really hand when you got several fans...using molex adapters on lots of fans can start to get difficult deal with. The connectors can be bulky and take up a lot of room so it becomes more difficult to hide the cables.

Another gadget to consider (particularly if you have PWM fans) is a PWM splitter:

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=87800&vpn=8W-PWM-SPL-ST&manufacture=Swiftech

This is quite similar to the fan hub above, however, the difference is that you plug a PWM cable into one of the motherboard PWM fan headers and it will repeat the PWM signal to 8 other PWM fans connected. This means you only have to try to hide one cable running to the motherboard instead of several fan cables. But you still have the benefit of PWM control on the fans.
thumb.gif

I hope this helps!
smile.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: AGENT_WD40

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGENT_WD40 View Post

thanks for the post francis its really helpful!
No problem, glad to help!
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Quote:

so like the title says guys i'm building a new rig and and i'd like to know how to hide those 3 or 4 pin cables from the fans that usually plug directly into the motherboard, when i look at peoples builds on here i dont see those cables plugged into the motherboard....would i need to get an adapter that connects them to molex or something? or a fan controller?...the new build will be a corsair carbide 240 fyi.
confused.gif
Another approach is to use a hub like this one.

You can see the hub in the back middle, its just a spade connector hub.

·
Registered
834 Posts
i always wrapped the wires around the motherboard standoffs, or tucked the rest behind the motherboard. depending which standoffs are used and color of the wires, all you see through the window is the fan ports being used on the motherboard.

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Quote:

is that for pwm fans or molex?
It works with all fans, but I normally just snip off the pwm and run them either at 12v or 5v if the fans will run at that.

·
WCG Enthusiast
1,896 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts