Overclock.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction
GPU's tend to run hot and although they are designed to run in these hotter temperatures a little decrease is always welcome for some more overclocking headroom or just to improve its efficiency.

Changing the TIM is a free (Providing you have some TIM laying around), simple and quick way for reducing your temperatures. Results will vary however as it depends how much of a mess the manufacturers of your card made when applying the TIM so each card will be different. It could be that you won't see a temperature decrease but the chances are you will just remember as soon as that heatsink is unscrewed and lifted off you must replace the TIM regardless.

What you need to replace the TIM on a GPU

This is a relatively simple process so minimal tools are required but make sure you have the following:
  • Q-Tips or cleaning cloth to remove old TIM
  • Small positive screw driver
  • New TIM
Warranty Issues
Some companies are fussy about you replacing the TIM on your GPU. Nothing can really go wrong but I would check with your manufacturer, I know XFX Europe don't allow it. When you unscrew the back plate just make sure you don't ruin them and especially if the screws are black as signs of unscrewing can be visible if you're not careful

How to change your TIM - Approx. 15 min

1. Firstly, do a benchmark of some sort and record your temperatures for idle and load so you have something to compare with once you change your TIM. This will also help when removing the TIM as it will be slightly warm

2. Remove the card from your PC and place on an anti-static bag or work surface and turn the card over.

3. Remove the screws that hold the cooler on in the case of this guide remove the 4 screws in red on the 5770 shown in the picture. Once you remove the 4th screw the cooler will dropped off pretty easily so make sure you are holding on to it

4. Looking at the stock TIM will give you an idea if you are going to see a decrease in temps. If it's nicely done don't expect much but if it's a mess under there then done properly you should see a nice drop!

Above: This TIME doesn't look too bad really but I don't lower my temps slightly

5. Clean the TIM off the die with q-tips or other cleaning cloth making sure you remove the TIM off the heatsink too.

6. Re-apply some TIM to the die as thin as possible and lightly spread it out so you can be sure of a full covering. Don't worry about the edges too much as the pressure from the heatsink will spread it nicely.

Above: The TIM looks thick but its actually thinner than you think

7. Replace the heatsink carefully making sure that once you place the heatsink down you don't lift it off again as you will get air in TIM and could cause bad results

8. Put the card back in to your rig and test idle and load temperatures to see what improvements you've got

Results

I recorded idle temperatures of 55c and load temperatures of 86c when I did a benchmark but after replacing the TIM I was idling at 49c and at load I got 78c which to mean is pretty good to say it only took about 15 minutes and didn't cost me anything

Remember that your results may vary though
TIM can take a few hours to cure like on a CPU so your results may get better after a few hours or days.

Feel free to post your TIM results in this thread or if you have any questions just ask here

TIM Guide
This section is to show what TIM others have used and how much temperature drop they got but this may not be the same for everyone so use this as just a guide

If you want to add the TIM you used to this section send me a PM or put in your post the TIM you used, temperature results and what card you used it on and if its overclocked.

Thermal Compound Tested
Akasa AK-450 - CM690 8c Drop off load temps

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
It good someone post a guide on with reference cooler.
Someone people get turn off and just say screw it.

Hope this helps someone. I'm laptop guy.

Rep+

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ELmo1989 View Post
It good someone post a guide on with reference cooler.
Someone people get turn off and just say screw it.

Hope this helps someone. I'm laptop guy.

Rep+
Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoolGuy View Post
If any one need info on Nvidia cards check my sig. I got a couple.
Nice guides
+rep

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Thanks! I never seen one for ATi

BTW i just noticed its not called a postive screw its called Philips screw. You can put this (+) <-It helps get rid of the confusion.

*Just another note from another edit. you should remind them to always ground them selfs before they work on any hardware but also that it is not always advised to work on a Anti-static bag. Its a bad habit because if you ever do find your self testing any hardware on one you will distroy the hardware.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You might also want to consider using a 75%+ isopropyl alcohol solution to clean the old TIM of rather than just a q-tip it can leave residue without a solution to remove the particles of Q-tip and evaporate.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rixon
View Post

You might also want to consider using a 75%+ isopropyl alcohol solution to clean the old TIM of rather than just a q-tip it can leave residue without a solution to remove the particles of Q-tip and evaporate.

Its usually recommended to use 99%. Usually the other 25% is some extra disinfectant (Assuming your using rubbing alcohol) that leaves a sticky residue

·
Registered
578 Posts
Really useful guide there. I would have really appreciated this before I went ahead and did the same thing to my 5870. I have a question though, in the part where you mention using an antistatic bag, did you mean to place the card on top of an antistatic bag? If you did, that actaully has the reverse effect and can cause damage. Hardware is only protected by it when it is inside the bag

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mib2347
View Post

Really useful guide there. I would have really appreciated this before I went ahead and did the same thing to my 5870. I have a question though, in the part where you mention using an antistatic bag, did you mean to place the card on top of an antistatic bag? If you did, that actaully has the reverse effect and can cause damage. Hardware is only protected by it when it is inside the bag

Really?
I thought it would protect my card
Nevermind

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CM690

2. Remove the card from your PC and place on an anti-static bag or work surface and turn the card over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mib2347
View Post

Its a common misconception. You would think using common scene it would help right.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Good guide. Few pointers

#0 Phillips for most screws on the shroud/ramsinks.

#00 for the Heatsink that makes contact with the GPU.

I have found that the Double X application method works the best. ( an X with a horizontal line thru the middle)

90% or better Iso. ( back in the poor days I have used run of the mill 75%)

·
Registered
578 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CM690
View Post

Really?
I thought it would protect my card
Nevermind

Yeah, I though that it would protect it too but I read something that basically explained that the bags are designed to essentially reroute static electricity around the outside of the bag and protect the inside of it

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KoolGuy
View Post

Its usually recommended to use 99%. Usually the other 25% is some extra disinfectant (Assuming your using rubbing alcohol) that leaves a sticky residue

I mentioned 75%+, meaning that 75% is the lowest I would(I use 99%) use and suggest anyone to use. NOT just 75%

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.