Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have some Corsair ML120 Pro 4-pin PWN fans and they are plugged direct to 4-pin headers for chassis fan in motherboard (Asus Maximus X Hero), the only options in BIOS are based on the CPU temperature, this means the fans will speed up and down according to CPU temperature, but there is a manual option where I can manually set the RPM % according to the minimum, medium and max temperature, so I set 70 to all and the temperatures I put 75ºC, this means my fans will always spin at 70% RPM, this is the only way to control PWM fans through in BIOS and have a precise RPM mode? Other than that I would need a fan controller or download softwares like Asus Ai Suite or SpeedFan?

Just want to know if I'm doing this thing right.

·
Premium Member
27,144 Posts
I guess it depends on what you consider the right thing. I think most of us want our fans to change speed based on component temp because this way the system is quieter and only get louder if components are working hard. You way means fans spin all the time at the speed needed to keep components cool at there highest load / temp level. THis means fans are flowing much more air than needed except when sytem is at high load, so system is louder all the time rather than only at full load .. which for most of us is much less than 1/4 of the time. probably 10% or even less of the time. My system only works hard at most about 5% of the time.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it depends on what you consider the right thing. I think most of us want our fans to change speed based on component temp because this way the system is quieter and only get louder if components are working hard. You way means fans spin all the time at the speed needed to keep components cool at there highest load / temp level. THis means fans are flowing much more air than needed except when sytem is at high load, so system is louder all the time rather than only at full load .. which for most of us is much less than 1/4 of the time. probably 10% or even less of the time. My system only works hard at most about 5% of the time.
I see, but what annoys me most is the fact that CPU temp is a very variable value while gaming, so I can hear all the time the fans spinning up and down, and that is what annoys me, but I think I can fix that setting the duty cycle for the temperatures using manual mode too, like 800 RPM for CPU below 50ºC and everthing above that is like 1500 RPM, but probably the 1500 RPM would make the temps drop again to below 50ºC and the fans would spin down, and then the temps would get higher than 50ºC and than the fans will speed up, that changing in RPM is not pleasure to me ears.

·
Premium Member
27,144 Posts
I see, but what annoys me most is the fact that CPU temp is a very variable value while gaming, so I can hear all the time the fans spinning up and down, and that is what annoys me, but I think I can fix that setting the duty cycle for the temperatures using manual mode too, like 800 RPM for CPU below 50ºC and everthing above that is like 1500 RPM, but probably the 1500 RPM would make the temps drop again to below 50ºC and the fans would spin down, and then the temps would get higher than 50ºC and than the fans will speed up, that changing in RPM is not pleasure to me ears.
Usually motherboard fan control software for use in windows has 3 or 4 temp to speed setting points. Set the idle/low load range with first two and then set higher speed with last two for like when gaming. It might take a few tries to get it so fans don't change when gaming or when at low load, but it's not too hard to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts