Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pvr records in mpeg1 and I'm getting about a gig per hour. Is there some kind of software that will convert this to DivX or something that will keep the video quality but shrink the size of the file? I used to download full length DivX movies that were about 800 megs and here I am recording at a gig an hour...... Any good recommendations?

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Try VirtualDUB.
1) Load the MPEG1 file, set Video to "Full Processing Mode" and Compression to "DivX 850 bps data rate".
2) Set Audio to "Full Processing Mode" and set Compression to "MP3 at 128 bps data rate"
3) Click on "Save AVI" in the File tab.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by z_one

Try VirtualDUB.
1) Load the MPEG1 file, set Video to "Full Processing Mode" and Compression to "DivX 850 bps data rate".
2) Set Audio to "Full Processing Mode" and set Compression to "MP3 at 128 bps data rate"

Yep, that's exactly what you do.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by z_one

Try VirtualDUB.

Just downloaded the program. Seems really cool but where do you find the "DivX 850 bps data rate" compression? I only see "DivX 6.1 codec" and "DivX 6.1 YV12 Decoder". I downloaded the 32-bit stable version. Is the 850 bps in the experimental version?

Thanks again for the help!

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Go to "Video -> Compression" and select "Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2" then click on "Configure" to set the compression settings.

Quote from this website.

Quote:

In VirtualDub, go to Video>>Compression, and choose the 'Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V2. Click on 'Configure to set the compression settings:

Keyframe - The greater number of keyframes in the video, the smoother seeking to specific points in the video will be, though the qualitity of a given frame will decrease slightly. It is suggested to use a lower number of keyframes; leaving this at the default 'Keyframe every 8 seconds' should be adequate

Compression Control - This will determine the tradeoffs made by the codec when rendering a given frame/motion sequence. It is suggested to set this between 75 and 100, but like all video adjustments/filters, you should test the video yourself to determine what looks best.

Data Rate - This is the most important setting. It determines how much bandwidth is used for the video stream; more kbps = greater video quality. For a 92 minute video (the length of the majority of MST3K episodes from intro to stinger) with a 128 kbps audio stream, the video bitrate should be set to ~ 878 kbps in order to ensure a filesize < 700 MB. It is possible to push this limit a bit, up to as high as 900 kbps, especially if you use LAME to encode mp3 efficiently to a smaller size, leaving a bit more room for the video. If you want to calculate these bitrates manually, you may be able to squeeze a bit more quality out of your encoding. One thing to note, however, is that some of the earlier Comedy Central episodes of MST3K were actually 97 minutes long, in which case you may have to bring this data rate down to as low as 850 kbps .

When you save your AVI, combined with either the pre-compressed wav audio or compressing the audio to mp3 at the same time, VirtualDub will compress using these settings to give a single < 700 MB file containing both the audio and video. Encoding time can take anywhere from 8 to 35 hours, depending on the speed of your processor and the amount of video filtering that you apply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts