Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,939 Posts
It has less padding at the top yes, I fail to see why a logo needs over 30px of padding top and bottom.
Text size for subtitles was reduced, making the bars less thick, again it just takes valuable space IMO. The collapse forum markers on 'who's online' and 'latest discussions' are not aligned properly, I have not been able to work out a way to fix this yet without ruining the collapse markers on the main forum table.

·
Banned
11,680 Posts
What about side padding? From what I see, your screenie had a much better (smaller) amount than mine on the main page. Any ideas as to why this isn't working?

·
Premium Member
11,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by csm725 View Post

What about side padding? From what I see, your screenie had a much better (smaller) amount than mine on the main page. Any ideas as to why this isn't working?
Oh, That is a forum setting. I use wide view. My Preferences are set as follows -

·
Premium Member
11,939 Posts
Quote:

Still same padding on homepage.
Oh my bad, the homepage/profile pages will only scale so far with resolution. I minimised the window so that the screenshot wasn't too huge so that is why there is less padding, I don't know why only threads fit to the edge of the screen, seems a bit odd.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,539 Posts
Is it me or a lot of people are just going slightly mad about the new forum? In another thread a user was complaining and saying he wasn't going to come back because he wasn't willing to allow 28 different IP's to acess a forum... I use RequestPolicy and have no idea where he came up with that number. There are 4 cross-site requests: yahooapis, google-analytics, quantserve and googleaddservices.

And the colors ? What is everybody talking about ? I think you are all mistaking the fact that the forum uses more screen real estate and thus less of the darker blue is visible on the sides more than anything else.

It does not look that different from what it was before. Sure, the letters below your avatar used to be darker, and that shade of blue is just slightly lighter, but come on!

Here are some facts:

·
Banned
11,680 Posts
The waste of space on the homepage is ridiculous. For some reason it's hard-coded rather than having it change when I am in wide view...

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,539 Posts
Quote:

The waste of space on the homepage is ridiculous. For some reason it's hard-coded rather than having it change when I am in wide view...
That is weird. I don't even have wide view enabled and the forum uses the whole screen on all pages.

Edit:

Here is how it is rendered in my Firefox:

·
Premium Member
11,939 Posts
What resolution are you running?
I will agree people are over-reacting about the colours, OCN has always been a light-ish site, but at the end of the day not everyone knows how to do this, and if it means more people do not rage or quit, then why complain about the complainers?

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaKiller View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5prout View Post

Could you post the script when you are done KarmaKiller?
Sure will.. no promises on time though. I've got about 4 other sites I need to syle/code before I get to "free time work"...
I'll post it up when I have something started and take suggestions.
smile.gif
Sounds great! Thanks a billion
biggrin.gif
!

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeejunky View Post

I will agree people are over-reacting about the colours, OCN has always been a light-ish site, but at the end of the day not everyone knows how to do this, and if it means more people do not rage or quit, then why complain about the complainers?
My monitor is 1680x1050 but my desktop resolution is 1280x800.

·
Premium Member
11,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

Quote:

My monitor is 1680x1050 but my desktop resolution is 1280x800.
That explains it. If I go here and set my browser to 1280px wide then the homepage takes up the whole screen. Why are you not using your monitor's native resolution?

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,539 Posts
Quote:

That explains it. If I go here and set my browser to 1280px wide then the homepage takes up the whole screen. Why are you not using your monitor's native resolution?
Because it doesn't make any sense for me. Using a 20" monitor with the native 1680x1050 resolution would make my eyes tired after half an hour whereas I can use it at 1280x800 for hours. I have tried using 1680x1050 and adjusting DPI settings, but it becomes a big mess and doesn't look natural. I do game at 1680x1050.

Newer generations might not notice, but I'm from a time when 14" and 15" CRT monitors were the norm (which had less viewable area than the stated screen size - a 15" monitor had around 13.9" viewable if I'm not mistaken), and we used 640x480 or 800x600 in Windows 95.

Edit: with a 1280x800 resolution I can have Firefox with 10 tabs visible, 50 buttons so I can easily click to go to my favourite websites, and I can have 16 programs in the taskbar (pinned and /or opened). People using professional level programs with countless toolbars might need more pixels, but I certainly don't.

·
Premium Member
14,359 Posts
It's actually much easier on the eyes to NOT have to scan across the full 1920 pixels to read things. Paragraphs render awkwardly and the site design can break on occasion. We have Wide view because many people demand it but it definitely isn't ideal.

The standard view on this platform is much better than the skinny one on vB. I would recommend people try to use it for a while. The padding on the edges actually makes the site MORE readable.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Quote:

OCN has always been a light-ish site
Brightness != Contrast though. If you look at the old OCN using the wayback machine you'll see that all of the text and table elements contrast nicely.

On a side note... looks like they've implemented the darkening I applied to the last post column. I still prefer the dark blue headers, but its much better than it was before.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts