Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have often had to do this and I thought I would share a couple of trade secrets with you guys LOL.

PSU stickers are pretty easy to remove--but they leave behind a definite mark where they were--even if you have decent results using isoporpyl or denatured alcohol there are some adhesives that are like Cousin Becky's Booger to get off there...





Now the secret is the Liquid Gold (Olde English or any lemon oil polish works) because the oils in that polish soften and loosen the pernicious adhesive without destroying the paint like lacquer thinner or acetone would.

The paint on most PSUs is hardly tough by any standard so rubbing vigorously to remove it with any solvent--even isopropyl--will make scratches and remove some of the shine.

Here is how you remove that final "shadow" of where the sticker was and any little scratches that were introduced while removing the adhesive: Novus Plastic Polish #2





But we are not done yet...why not take a moment to customize your PSU...in this case it is getting one of my new case badges Iandh made for me.







Although the Novus has completely removed the mark of the sticker and the scratches it does not impart a glow...for that you need car wax...


I find Mother's Cally Gold Measures up...



Now that's a shiny PSU!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,746 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by rsfkevski
View Post

Damn CD, is there ANYTHING that you can't make look BETTER?????

Turds... can't pretty them up lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,227 Posts
I never thought i would see the day when someone would wax a PC component.

Hats off you to you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,746 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dezixn
View Post

I never thought i would see the day when someone would wax a PC component.

Hats off you to you.

This is entirely irrelevant to the topic, but I was just glancing at your SIG and saw your SAT score... not bad man, though I think you should drop the Writing part of it as no college or nobody for that matter cares lol.

I got a 1370 (old scale) back when I took it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:


Originally Posted by Dezixn
View Post

I never thought i would see the day when someone would wax a PC component.

Hats off you to you.

It's a lil Hot Rod...cruizing duh boulevard in big Cards loooow to the ground...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,095 Posts
dude that's pretty sweet. You used plastic polish for metal? It works well, or would you recommend metal polish?

Was it glossy to begin with? Mine has a matte finish...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sideburns
View Post

dude that's pretty sweet. You used plastic polish for metal? It works well, or would you recommend metal polish?

Was it glossy to begin with? Mine has a matte finish...

The TT has a so so finish...shiny but not auto paint glossy--and thin.

Polyurethane/ACrylic based paint is plastic and I reccomend using Novus on it.

For actual plated metal like some of the Ultra PSUS ou would do well to use Simichrome or Fliitz...but rub lightly so as to not change the color...

A matte finish will take a dull lustre...my Silverstone is like that...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,811 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sideburns
View Post

dude that's pretty sweet. You used plastic polish for metal? It works well, or would you recommend metal polish?

Was it glossy to begin with? Mine has a matte finish...

Same here, matte black. Although I did shine up my NUUO before I sold it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,095 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by CyberDruid
View Post

The TT has a so so finish...shiny but not auto paint glossy--and thin.

Polyurethane/ACrylic based paint is plastic and I reccomend using Novus on it.

For actual plated metal like some of the Ultra PSUS ou would do well to use Simichrome or Fliitz...but rub lightly so as to not change the color...

A matte finish will take a dull lustre...my Silverstone is like that...

ya, it's most likely similar to your silverstone....the Seasonic has a pretty tough matte black finish...

Hmm...maybe I should just take the sticker goo off, and leave it at that. I already moved the sticker to the other side...but I may as well take it off, now...lol.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideburns View Post
ya, it's most likely similar to your silverstone....the Seasonic has a pretty tough matte black finish...

Hmm...maybe I should just take the sticker goo off, and leave it at that. I already moved the sticker to the other side...but I may as well take it off, now...lol.

Step It
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberDruid View Post
Well I have often had to do this and I thought I would share a couple of trade secrets with you guys LOL.

PSU stickers are pretty easy to remove--but they leave behind a definite mark where they were--even if you have decent results using isoporpyl or denatured alcohol there are some adhesives that are like Cousin Becky's Booger to get off there...





Now the secret is the Liquid Gold (Olde English or any lemon oil polish works) because the oils in that polish soften and loosen the pernicious adhesive without destroying the paint like lacquer thinner or acetone would.

The paint on most PSUs is hardly tough by any standard so rubbing vigorously to remove it with any solvent--even isopropyl--will make scratches and remove some of the shine.

Here is how you remove that final "shadow" of where the sticker was and any little scratches that were introduced while removing the adhesive: Novus Plastic Polish #2





But we are not done yet...why not take a moment to customize your PSU...in this case it is getting one of my new case badges Iandh made for me.







Although the Novus has completely removed the mark of the sticker and the scratches it does not impart a glow...for that you need car wax...


I find Mother's Cally Gold Measures up...



Now that's a shiny PSU!
Here's another little guide I wrote about 3 am that I wanted to have out in the daylight


Enjoy...
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top