Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
Lately a friend of mine wanted an upgrade to his build,meaning a monitor and a GPU, so i bought him a monitor,and since he had a 3850 GPU,I saw a local store selling one in a "stock house".
So we went and bought it.

That card started hitting really high temps and restart occasionally,which made me think about a fan problem.Actually it was a fan problem,the prob was that the wire was cut off.So i took some kalai(easily melted metal) and fixed it.

Even though with the fan fixed the PC restarted again and it was again a heat problem.(Though it took it like 5 hours of gaming).
Since my friend did not want to spend 27 EUR on an aftermarket cooler (it would cost him double the price of the card itself) i told him that we could stick a fan to blow air directly at the position of the stock fan.

So i took some Duct Tape, stuck it onto the cooler and stuck an 80mm fan on the duct tape (wow pretty impressive imagination ain't it
) using some super gluey glue(...misspelled probably).As a matter of fact that idea worked perfectly. Though before the temps would hit 90 in Furmark in 3 mins or so ,now in 11 mins it was sort of stable at 82.(never got more than 83).

So i felt like giving this idea to others as well - even though i am sure someone has come through that idea before , it doesn't matter i think...

Only problem is that now the GPU covers something like 3 slots, but since my friend doesn't care , why not?

LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL tombom you are absolutely right...i feel like garbage now :S ...
About the fan removal, no i did not remove the fan , because the problem was that the fan was not performing that well,so i wanted to "add" performance(i mean cooling performance) not change the fan...
The idea works like blowing cool air into the fan(that blows air into the spreader) + the spreader(oh i don't really know how that black thing is called like passive cooler - sorry i am not British or American i don't speak English so well) so that it keeps the GPU cool.
thanks for reading + on all of you's(i play mafia 2 quite a lot, don't I?)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I think you are going to see better temps if you just remove that original fan; the two working together will not be complimentary. also as Nick said, replace the TIM on it. With both of those done, you should see more than 5C drop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts