Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a 2nd GTX 260c216 for SLI

I currently have a GTX 260 Core 216 65nm

1. Can I SLI the 55nm and the 65nm cards? I can't figure out the difference when buying online

2. ONE of the video cards will be watercooled.. I am assuming I should watercool whichever card runs hotter? I need the single slot for my sound card

3. I need to do this the cheapest way possible: Links to cheap, full cover waterblocks will be +reps as well as links for the needed GPU

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XFreeRollerX
View Post

I want to get a 2nd GTX 260c216 for SLI

I currently have a GTX 260 Core 216 65nm

1. Can I SLI the 55nm and the 65nm cards? I can't figure out the difference when buying online

2. ONE of the video cards will be watercooled.. I am assuming I should watercool whichever card runs hotter? I need the single slot for my sound card

3. I need to do this the cheapest way possible: Links to cheap, full cover waterblocks will be +reps as well as links for the needed GPU

Yes you can SLI the two

Here is a link to the gtx 260 $185 after MIR

And a link to a good waterblock: $122

I running the cards under water will most likely allow you to hit GTX280 speeds pretty easily, but it will be almost completely wasted if you just do it on one card. Your system will automatically downclock the 2nd card in your SLI setup to the clocks of the lowest clocked card, so your water cooled 260 will only be able to go as far as your air cooled one. If you can spend another $120, I'd say get another water block and OC the **** out of both cards. Good luck!

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which card should I watercool? The 55nm one might be cheaper to WC, but the 65nm kinda needs it more.... what do you guys think?

Quote:

Originally Posted by slothfish View Post
Yes you can SLI the two

I running the cards under water will most likely allow you to hit GTX280 speeds pretty easily, but it will be almost completely wasted if you just do it on one card. Your system will automatically downclock the 2nd card in your SLI setup to the clocks of the lowest clocked card, so your water cooled 260 will only be able to go as far as your air cooled one. If you can spend another $120, I'd say get another water block and OC the **** out of both cards. Good luck!
Fail.

1: you linked GTX 260 with 192 stream processors
2: Koolance waterblocks are disgusting.

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slothfish View Post
Yes you can SLI the two

card you gave only uses 192 processors new ones are 216 that is a 65 nm card

·
Premium Member
16,928 Posts
i say watercool the 55nm card - all the reivews i have read have said that the 55nm's cooler is stripped down, so the temps aren't as low as they should be. i have never seen anything saying SLI betweeen any type of gtx 260 does not work.

why do you have to watercool only one of the cards though?

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
i say watercool the 55nm card - all the reivews i have read have said that the 55nm's cooler is stripped down, so the temps aren't as low as they should be. i have never seen anything saying SLI betweeen any type of gtx 260 does not work.

why do you have to watercool only one of the cards though?
I have a PCI-e RAID card and a PCI-e Sound card, and now I want two PCI-e Graphics cards.

There is a PCI-e x1 slot immediately below the 1st graphics slot, my sound card can go into this slot, my GPUs can sit in lanes 1 and 3 for PCIE and my RAID card will sit in the last remaining slot open. Without the single slot cooler for my GPU, the sound card would be blocked out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts