Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First -- expletive Asus. This G751 I have, Asus partitioned the OS drive to heck. But here's the problem:

1. EFI partition
2. OS partition
3. Recovery partition
4. data partition

Whuh... why???

I can't find any way to get rid of that D: 100gb data partition and put the space into the C: partition. As far as I know it's not possible, since the unallocated space has to be adjacent, and the Recovery partition that sits in between cannot be extended shrunk etc.

Anyone know how to do this??

·
Ultra wide wide wide.....
5,277 Posts
I've ran into this problem before. What I used to set everything to the way I wanted was AOMEI Partition Assistant. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

I've ran into this problem before. What I used to set everything to the way I wanted was AOMEI Partition Assistant. Worked like a charm.
How? AOMEI says
Quote:
You can only merge 2 partitions in one time, and the two partitions must be adjacent.
http://www.disk-partition.com/help/merge-partition.html

So did you shrink the OS partition and create an unallocated space, and then merge that with the non-adjacent partition you want to get rid of? I
ll install and try it, but that's the only thing I can think of, and I don't know if that function works that way.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The ONLY way i've done this, i used a linux live usb/cd to run gparted (or you just run gparted on a usb alone) and what basically needed to happen was partitions had to be moved (technically rewritten). However the wonderful thing is you can chain all the moves, even the expanding to the unallocated space with gparted, but it will take a while.

·
5,277 Posts
I did that a long time ago, I don't remember what I did exactly but I know the AOMEI was the only one that did what I wanted out of a bunch of others that I tried.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post

I did that a long time ago, I don't remember what I did exactly but I know the AOMEI was the only one that did what I wanted out of a bunch of others that I tried.
Well I'm mystified how you did it, anything I try with non adjacent spaces gets greyed out.

·
5,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taem View Post

Well I'm mystified how you did it, anything I try with non adjacent spaces gets greyed out.
You might need to move one partition at a time.

• Rep+
Reactions: taem

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Cyclops --

Thanks tons man! Worked. Turns out I was being stupid and trying to manipulate from the bottom window, which shows the same info in a different way. But you have to use the top window for *this* function -- other functions work fine off the bottom window. I have no idea why they did it that way. Maybe preOS stuff is reserved for the top window.

·
5,277 Posts
smile.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts