Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. Sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this.

I'm wondering if there's a good site to track the best upcoming (or current) deals on 4K TVs in Canada.

I have around 1,000 dollar budget, but would like to keep it closer to 500. I'd would go up to 1k if a very compelling case could be made for said TV!

That said, I'm looking for 4K and HDR. 50 - 65 inches. Not too picky on size. And OLED or QLED if it's in my price range. Also, there are so many TVs on the market. I find the whole range of options overwhelming. How do I know how one 50" 4K HDR TV at 500 dollars is gonna look/function compared to one at 1000 apart from going to Costco and then Best Buy and then The Brick and then Wal-Mart to stare at TVs all day?

Basically, i'd like to avoid that step if there's some obvious great deals on great 4k TVs this Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Example: Here's a 50" 4K HDR Smart TV for 400 dollars I found at my local superstore.

That seems like a really great deal. But I never heard of Westinghouse. How would this compare to a Samsung or an LG at double the price? Would the difference be that extreme?

Sorry for length. Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Senior OCN Member
39,800 Posts
About the QLED vs the OLED it comes down to if you rather have really deep blacks or really bright lights
QLED is brighter but cant go as dark as OLED so the first thing you should do is decide which you rather have

Personally i would never buy QLED since my eyes starts to hurt since its too bright and even my OLED hurts on its brighter settings so i have it on its darker settings but that just me
In general they say QLED is better for sports and OLED is better for movies but that might be a bit oversimplified

If i where to buy a TV today i would go with the LG CX without a second thought but i dont know if that one is outside your price range

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Look into these two units:

Those are going to get you the most bang for your buck while staying within your budget. Costco is one of the better places to find TV's but on Black Friday someplace like Best Buy may well have a slightly better deal.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,023 Posts
I always recommend TCL for TV's in $500 range. As they have the best smart features. And if you don't want a smart feature you can remove them individuality.

However this is 2020 the year of 4k 120hz. And i believe the LG Nano 85 series is the cheapest 4k120hz tv. And it is a good buy if you want 4k 120hz for under $1000.

I like rtings for tv reviews.

• Rep+
Reactions: NameMakingSux

·
H₂O Aficionado
3,876 Posts
Don’t buy TVs from Real Canadian Superstore, Loblaws, No Frills, Sobey’s, FreshCo, Canadian Tire etc. unless it’s a known brand.

They’re likely poor quality and not worth the cash. Yes, it’s cheap, but you’re getting a cheap product.

If you go to Best Buy, especially around Black Friday / Christmas (if you are not heading into lockdown...) and you spend ~ 700 to 800 on a Samsung, LG, or Sony, you’ll get a much better product. Even Vizio is a good value. I don’t even have to look at SKUs to say this.

A westingtonhouse or whatever it is likely has the poorest quality panel around.

EDIT 3: TCL as recommended above / by others.
$530 QLED 50” 4K

Example from Best Buy : https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...mart-tv-55un7300pub-only-at-best-buy/14522820

50” + 4K HDR

LG UN7300 Review (43UN7300PUF, 49UN7300AUD, 50UN7300PUF, 55UN7300PUF, 65UN7300PUF, 70UN7370PUC, 75UN7370PUH)

VRR (G-Sync Compatible / Freesync support)
Edit 2: 49” Version is $500 on Amazon

·
PC Evangelist
46,939 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: NameMakingSux

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If i where to buy a TV today i would go with the LG CX without a second thought but i dont know if that one is outside your price range
That is most definitely outside of my price range unfortunately, but thanks for the feedback.

Those are going to get you the most bang for your buck while staying within your budget. Costco is one of the better places to find TV's but on Black Friday someplace like Best Buy may well have a slightly better deal.
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll look into em.

I always recommend TCL for TV's in $500 range. As they have the best smart features. And if you don't want a smart feature you can remove them individuality.

However this is 2020 the year of 4k 120hz. And i believe the LG Nano 85 series is the cheapest 4k120hz tv. And it is a good buy if you want 4k 120hz for under $1000.

I like rtings for tv reviews.
Hey Ozlay. Funny you mention the TCL ones, I saw them today in Best Buy and noticed they have some QLED TVs (Which I confess I previously thought was Samsung exclusive) but they were in the box and if they had any on display I walked right past them. I will say though that the Samsung QLEDs look great. Do you know if the TCLs compare favorably to the Samsung displays?

Also interesting you mention 120hz because I got looking at some of the 120hz tvs, specifically an LG Nanocell 55" for I think a thousand. And my it just looked awesome, and I think 120hz would be good for gaming. I don't know that i'll get a console any time soon, but even to hook my PC up to one for some Rocket League would be nice. I'm strongly Leaning towards a Nanocell. If I can get a similar 4K 120hz HDR tv for cheaper I will, but I'm gonna go ahead and guess that that's not too likely eh? TCL have any options like that?

Also, I thought 120hz tv's were a thing 5+ years back. Are the really only now just starting to gain popularity? Or were they not true 120hz tvs back then? Or am I just mistaken entirely on that?

Don’t buy TVs from [deapartment stores]

Yes, it’s cheap, but you’re getting a cheap product.

If you go to Best Buy, especially around Black Friday / Christmas (if you are not heading into lockdown...) and you spend ~ 700 to 800 on a Samsung, LG, or Sony, you’ll get a much better product. Even Vizio is a good value. I don’t even have to look at SKUs to say this.
Thanks for the reply and the TV recommendations! I'm hearing a lot of good things about TCL. I wish I paid more attention to them when I did my window shopping earlier. I might have to go back Monday and give em a good look. So TCL, Visio, and Hisense are all decent brands then, eh? That's good to know.

I saw a 55" HDR 120HZ LG Nanocell today for a grand, and now I want to add 120hz to my list of desired features haha. I'm strongly leaning towards that one, however if I can find a cheaper one with similar specs I'd be all for it. And I did find this:

4K, Variable 120hz, HDR10 (which, correct me if i'm wrong is the better HDR?) and it's on at BestBuy for 899. Wondering if I should get that one or spend the extra 100 on the Nanocell. I never saw this one in action but that Nanocell looked great. Do they both have "Mini-LED technology"? I'm not sure what that is but it's mentioned as a noteable feature.

LG 55NANO85

I saw I think this exact TV today at Best buy. It was a 4K, HDR, 120Hz Nanocell. And man, yeah, it looked awesome. I think I might buy it, actually. Is it better than this tv: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...-hdr-qled-roku-os-smart-tv-55r635-ca/14671247

They're both the same price. I know LG is a bigger brand, and just top notch for display technology, but this TCL one talks about "Mini-LED" tech? Based on the name "Nanocell" i'm guessing that LG one has something similar but i'm not seeing anything that says it does. Though, to be honest i'm not even sure what "Mini-LED" is.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,023 Posts
yeah i believe the 2020 TCL 6 series models are 120hz also. I didn't know they were out yet. And looking at reviews they are better then the Nano85. However the Nano85 has smaller sizes. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts