Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went from a Q6700 to my below i7 rig.

Maybe its just me and I am overthinking this but I have noticed a few times my system has hung when it shouldnt have.
When reinstalling cod4, I was multitasking behind it. I had a hard time moving around my machine. I noticed this a few other times while multitasking.
I was under the impression that the i7 is supposed to blow through situations like this.
Anyways, maybe there is an issue there, maybe it is another piece of hardware, or maybe it is just me.

Looking for software that will do some type of bottleneck test. Something that will run my machine through whatever and report back that it found issues at certain points????
I am at stock at the moment and want to keep it that way till I am completely set back up.

Anyone know of software like this.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimeracaust
View Post

They can normally be found above the base of a wine/soda/beer bottle.

/out before the bottleneck war starts!

Nice...

Ok, lets forget about bottlenecks.

How about software to test the system for "slow spots"

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Be more specific, slowing down during an install is normal, I suspect even for an i7, but what are sorts of things are causing sluggish computing?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a fresh install.

The other time I noticed it was when I was copying a large amount of data to another between two drives. I went to pull up IE and something else and it took forever for them to pull up.
I keep thinking there was another time, but I am to tired to remember.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lardo5150
View Post

This is a fresh install.

The other time I noticed it was when I was copying a large amount of data to another between two drives. I went to pull up IE and something else and it took forever for them to pull up.

Ya thats your harddrive slowing your system down while its working.

EDIT: I would recommend getting another 640GB Black and Raid0 that beast.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
This is a fresh install.

Why don't you do some benchmarks, then we can compare to typical results. I'm not convinced this is abnormal yet; you could start with the "HDtune" benchmark, and we can see if it is normal.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool.
Baby is crying so I will do this tomorow and post back.
Sorry guys, I will get back to you tomorow.

The SSD drive would be sweet, I would have to mortgage my house though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I don't know that much about w7 yet as I just installed it. It sounds like your os is giving too high of a priority to the install/large transfer you are running in the background. In linux you could just lower the priority of that process. That way what ever you are doing in the foreground doesn't bog down because of the other process hogging the hard drive. I am not sure if you can do this in w7.

Also I only paid 139 for my ssd and have loved every minute of it. I paid 79 each for the wd640gb blacks. I have loaded w7 on a 20gig partition on the ssd and the /root for my linux on a 12gb partition on the ssd. Everything else is on the 1.2tb raid 0 array. This works like a charm. Linux and w7 boot fast as lightning. Everything is fast as hell with linux and pretty darn fast in w7 too.

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Your HDD is slowing you down.

There is no other way of putting it.

I have 2 Barracuda's (320 and 500) and they get slow when I'm doing large file transfers between them. Then again, I think back to the days of IDE-33... *shudders*

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

View Post

so I ran HDtune.
I have no clue what I am looking at though.

Those dips in the transfer rate seem to usually indicate either a bad or a failing hard drive. But each of those tiny yellow dots represent the access time for each little transfer. They all appear fairly normal.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

Those dips in the transfer rate seem to usually indicate either a bad or a failing hard drive. But each of those tiny yellow dots represent the access time for each little transfer. They all appear fairly normal.

or that he was just accessing programs/files while hdtune was running.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I had my background stuff running that is normally always running, does that make a difference?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well, I had my background stuff running that is normally always running, does that make a difference?

What stuff?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
These things are set to start when windows starts.
Xfire
Steam
EVGA Precision
weather and time gadgets
Everest Ultimate
Nostroma software

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

View Post

These things are set to start when windows starts.
Xfire
Steam
EVGA Precision
weather and time gadgets
Everest Ultimate
Nostroma software

Then close all of those things and see if it makes a difference with the results. If it doesn't, then either there's a problem with the HDD, or there's still something else that's using the HDD during the benchmark.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts