Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just did a clean install of Windows, because I was just having too many problems, I have a separate SSD just for windows, I have a main 1TB WD Black drive for all of my programs, is there any way that I can "scan" my whole computer for any installed programs? Just so that they would show up in searches and what not, so I do not have to go to the path of the program.

Are there any programs that could help me?

·
Registered
821 Posts
It sounds like you are asking if you can scan the 1TB drive and have windows recognize the previously installed programs there? (at least, I think that is what you are asking?)

Won't work... you will need to reinstall the applications. Most apps install DLL's and other files into some of the Windows folders... and the files won't be there after a Windows clean install... so the apps won't run properly. Most apps also modify the registry... and that is also needed for correct functioning.

Hope that helps.... and if I misunderstood what you are after, let us know.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickriggi View Post

Nope you're correct, I'd like to scan the 1TB hdd for previous programs. So I can't do this?
I am afraid not... you would need to either reinstall each app.. or at minimum, do a repair function from the install disk for each app (if it has the functionality).

·
Windows Wrangler
2,250 Posts
    ^ This, because without reinstalling the software, your system will be missing the program's settings, shared DLLs, and DLL registrations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts