Overclock.net banner

2381 - 2400 of 2414 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,381 ·
No, the 1080ti isn’t water cooled and I don’t plan on water cooling it at this time. It is an interim card while I wait to get a 3080.

Ok thanks so much for the information! I’m a little surprised that different models of the card work with each other. I figure the FTW3 bios would not work on an SC card.

My only other concern is that I had to flash my GPU bios to get the display ports to work. Here is the link which helped me fix my problem:NVIDIA Has a DisplayPort Problem Which Only a BIOS Update Can Fix

So I’m wondering if I flash to an FTW3 bios, I’ll have to do this update again...
You want the FTW3 Kingpin Fix bios found on page one in the bestbioscollection.zip file download, not the regular FTW3 BIOS.

It has a fix that helps you reach the full power limit. The regular FTW3 BIOS is bugged, not reaching the full potential with it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thought I should report that I did flash multiple bios' on my red pcb dell reference card, and it DID NOT like any of them. Thank **** I was able to find the original bios on the net as I didnt back mine up like a dunce. My card is rated for 1600mhz or so.... which is odd because it normally runs around 1850, and likes to be OC'd to around 2000. All the other bios' actually did have me at around 1600 and the card ran like pure garbage.... not sure if I missed something, but it's very happy as is and a couple tweaks on afterburner. I was trying to fix an issue after water cooling it, that turned out to be CJR ram temps causing driver crash. 36 degrees is all it took. But heat spreaders were not doing their job on g.skill ripjawz.... likely were trapping heat, and external temp I was measuring could have been much lower than the actual dimm temp. Who knows. I do know my ram row runs @ 30 degrees on the chips, no heat spreaders, fan cooled

·
Registered
544 Posts
In afterburner it has the monitoring graphs you can detatch from the main program and run on the side. And then in the app settings inside MSI AB on the Monitoring tab there are different monitoring things you can add or remove to that graph. One of them is "Power limit" that you can add to the MSI AB monitoring graph. If that goes to "1" you hit the power limit. If it stays "0" you're not hitting the power limit.
Hi there

Whats the best guide to use and bios to flash my 1080Ti please?

·
Registered
544 Posts

·
Like a fox!
2,724 Posts
Thankyou

I take it one Bios has a power limit and one does not, will one only go so high and the other will go much higher providing temps are good?
There is only one bios with no power limit, the XOC bios. But it's NOT for air cooled cards and it can cause damage / kill your card if it's used on an air cooled card. It's ONLY for people with a full cover custom-loop water block on their cards (core and VRM covered) and not for hybrid setups (AIO water cooler with a fan on the VRM won't work either). And even then it's only for people with a custom loop setup big enough that can keep their cards below 55c at all times. If you're just on an air cooled card and looking for more performance I think the EVGA FTW3 bios has the biggest power limit out of all possible ones and it has been shown to work on pretty much all 1080 Ti's. But you might lose some of the I/O / monitor ports depending on how different your card's monitor port configuration is vs the EVGA FTW3's card's monitor ports.

·
Registered
544 Posts
In afterburner it has the monitoring graphs you can detatch from the main program and run on the side. And then in the app settings inside MSI AB on the Monitoring tab there are different monitoring things you can add or remove to that graph. One of them is "Power limit" that you can add to the MSI AB monitoring graph. If that goes to "1" you hit the power limit. If it stays "0" you're not hitting the power limit.
Hey i checked the power limit and it stays at 0, what does this mean? I know im not hitting the limit but whats my best option from here?
My card is fully watercooled and the setup i have is a good one. no AIO or hybrid rubbish.

·
Like a fox!
2,724 Posts
Hey i checked the power limit and it stays at 0, what does this mean? I know im not hitting the limit but whats my best option from here?
My card is fully watercooled and the setup i have is a good one. no AIO or hybrid rubbish.
If you're not hitting the power limit on your card right now from the games and resolution you're running then switching to a different bios with a bigger power limit won't do anything for you at all. Just try and overclock the card some more and see what you can get out of it. With the main MSI-AB program open press control-F to bring up the curve editor. I believe cards with a "stock bios" from whom ever made your card will max out at 1.097v so just try and see the best clock you can get for that volts and have fun. When (and if) you start hitting the power limit in games then consider a different bios perhaps.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If you're not hitting the power limit on your card right now from the games and resolution you're running then switching to a different bios with a bigger power limit won't do anything for you at all. Just try and overclock the card some more and see what you can get out of it. With the main MSI-AB program open press control-F to bring up the curve editor. I believe cards with a "stock bios" from whom ever made your card will max out at 1.097v so just try and see the best clock you can get for that volts and have fun. When (and if) you start hitting the power limit in games then consider a different bios perhaps.
Thankyou for that

How do i find the max TDP on my GPU to enter into these instructions below...?

Important note: After flashing your BIOS or reinstalling your video card driver unzip the file below and right click it, Edit it using NotePad, change the '-pl 3**' to your max TDP on your card, Save As the file, choose 'All Files', not '.txt', save the powerlimit.bat file, than right click it and 'Run As Adminstrator'

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,390 ·
Thankyou for that

How do i find the max TDP on my GPU to enter into these instructions below...?

Important note: After flashing your BIOS or reinstalling your video card driver unzip the file below and right click it, Edit it using NotePad, change the '-pl 3**' to your max TDP on your card, Save As the file, choose 'All Files', not '.txt', save the powerlimit.bat file, than right click it and 'Run As Adminstrator'
if you max out the power limit in MSI Afterburner and have it run and set the settings you use on boot, the power limit will always be maxed out.

·
Registered
544 Posts
if you max out the power limit in MSI Afterburner and have it run and set the settings you use on boot, the power limit will always be maxed out.
Yes i know that but it needs to be set in the ,bat total TDP.

·
Premium Member
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,392 ·
Yes i know that but it needs to be set in the ,bat total TDP.
No, it doesn't need to be set in the .bat, if you max it out in Afterburner it'll be at the max power limit of the GPU already.

Edit: You only need the .bat if you're not using Afterburner and you need it to run as a scheduled task every boot, or manually run it after booting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yo im loosing my brain here. So i have this Asus Turbo GTX 1080 ti , miner had it before,anyway this peace of crap usually stays at 0.8 volts,with 120 power limit it spiked for a second 0.925 volts but i never seen it that "high" again ........... heres the screenshot,im trying to raise whole bar ctrl+f in msi after burner = does nothing,my faken volts are like stuck at 0.7/0.8,its ******ed it keeps hitting power limit all the time i loose big performance,how the heck would i bring it back to stock 1.0xx volts? This looks like smartest place spent couple hours with no luck. I have 8 pin + 6 pin,would stixx bios brick my card? Gyazo

·
Like a fox!
2,724 Posts
Yo im loosing my brain here. So i have this Asus Turbo GTX 1080 ti , miner had it before,anyway this peace of crap usually stays at 0.8 volts,with 120 power limit it spiked for a second 0.925 volts but i never seen it that "high" again ........... heres the screenshot,im trying to raise whole bar ctrl+f in msi after burner = does nothing,my faken volts are like stuck at 0.7/0.8,its ******ed it keeps hitting power limit all the time i loose big performance,how the heck would i bring it back to stock 1.0xx volts? This looks like smartest place spent couple hours with no luck. I have 8 pin + 6 pin,would stixx bios brick my card? Gyazo
Probably the coin miner person flashed it with a bios that limited it's performance on purpose (Good for you that's a smart coin miner and the card's probably fine). I would think though that you could just figure out what the card is and see if you can re-flash it's original bios back onto it. Could you perhaps try to tell us EXACTLY which card it is and what model it is? If you can get some clear photos of it that would help identify it to make sure we find the right one for you. By the way if you're using this forum on windows on a computer you can just right-click -> copy on a photo from anywhere (even in windows paint) and just control-V and paste it in to a message here and the forum software will embed it easily for you.

EDIT: This is what I had to do in MSI Afterburner for my 1080 Ti to get it working correctly and give me proper voltage control with the curve editor:

That and make sure you max out the power limit % and temp limit sliders. Also I used specifically MSI Afterburner version 4.6.2, I have heard reports of other users reporting that newer versions do not work correctly with the 1080 Ti's. So you might need to track down the older version.
Or see here a way to get it off the MSI Website:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Probably the coin miner person flashed it with a bios that limited it's performance on purpose (Good for you that's a smart coin miner and the card's probably fine). I would think though that you could just figure out what the card is and see if you can re-flash it's original bios back onto it. Could you perhaps try to tell us EXACTLY which card it is and what model it is? If you can get some clear photos of it that would help identify it to make sure we find the right one for you. By the way if you're using this forum on windows on a computer you can just right-click -> copy on a photo from anywhere (even in windows paint) and just control-V and paste it in to a message here and the forum software will embed it easily for you.

EDIT: This is what I had to do in MSI Afterburner for my 1080 Ti to get it working correctly and give me proper voltage control with the curve editor:
View attachment 2489230
That and make sure you max out the power limit % and temp limit sliders. Also I used specifically MSI Afterburner version 4.6.2, I have heard reports of other users reporting that newer versions do not work correctly with the 1080 Ti's. So you might need to track down the older version.
Or see here a way to get it off the MSI Website:
Looks like this
TURBO - GTX 1080TI - 11G
PART NO 90YV0AN0 - M0NM00
SERIAL NO
H3YVCM064010

CHECK NUMBER

--------------------

it hits 0.9 for a second and then stays at 0.8xx,tried settings like yours
Do i move slider good? I select **** and raise whole bar a bit up.

Attachments

·
Like a fox!
2,724 Posts
Looks like this
TURBO - GTX 1080TI - 11G
PART NO 90YV0AN0 - M0NM00
SERIAL NO
H3YVCM064010

CHECK NUMBER

--------------------

it hits 0.9 for a second and then stays at 0.8xx,tried settings like yours
Do i move slider good? I select **** and raise whole bar a bit up.
Okay that confirms you are hitting the power limit I see there. And I think I found your card: Amazon.com: Asus - Gaming Graphics Card Asus 90YV0AN0-M0NM00 11 GB GDDR5X 1582 MHz: Computers & Accessories

Even if a coin miner owned it before I think that's actually normal behaviour for that card with that kinda cooler on it.

You might could try the EVGA FTW3 bios on it which would give a higher power limit, and might let you hit 1.093v, you're only showing 65c there under temps so you have a little headroom left. You're going to be limited by that blower cooler though so I think realistically you might see around 1830 - 1850 Mhz out of that card and it's cooler, even with a different bios on it. Maybe about 1880 - 1900 if you're lucky and cranked the blower to 80%. You're already getting the card up to 1747 Mhz. The performance gains from all the bios changes and few more Mhz is only about +4%, it might not really be worth it with that card.

Try and push the memory clock to around +500 to +600 and see if that works.

EDIT: Disclaimer: I'm just a random person on the internet. Even though other people have reported that flashing a different bios onto a card works and helps overclock it, in the end it is no one's fault but you if you try it and something goes wrong. Remember that these are now $800 (used) video cards too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Okay that confirms you are hitting the power limit I see there. And I think I found your card: Amazon.com: Asus - Gaming Graphics Card Asus 90YV0AN0-M0NM00 11 GB GDDR5X 1582 MHz: Computers & Accessories

Even if a coin miner owned it before I think that's actually normal behaviour for that card with that kinda cooler on it.

You might could try the EVGA FTW3 bios on it which would give a higher power limit, and might let you hit 1.093v, you're only showing 65c there under temps so you have a little headroom left. You're going to be limited by that blower cooler though so I think realistically you might see around 1830 - 1850 Mhz out of that card and it's cooler, even with a different bios on it. Maybe about 1880 - 1900 if you're lucky and cranked the blower to 80%. You're already getting the card up to 1747 Mhz. The performance gains from all the bios changes and few more Mhz is only about +4%, it might not really be worth it with that card.

Try and push the memory clock to around +500 to +600 and see if that works.
Yeah i took of that cooler and added DYI watercooler double fans radiator and added extra two fans running at full speed at video card. else it would be hitting 85 in 1 minute of furmark. 65 is hotspot ,i think its case temperature,gpu temperature is 51c,idle temps like 18/20. I want it t get normal voltage so it wont throttle at 100 usage every 5seconds trying to do something stressful. now i have like -20c off so i could try,before temps were high,blower....

·
Like a fox!
2,724 Posts
Yeah i took of that cooler and added DYI watercooler double fans radiator and added extra two fans running at full speed at video card. else it would be hitting 85 in 1 minute of furmark. 65 is hotspot ,i think its case temperature,gpu temperature is 51c,idle temps like 18/20. I want it t get normal voltage so it wont throttle at 100 usage every 5seconds trying to do something stressful. now i have like -20c off so i could try,before temps were high,blower....
You didn't tell us any of that before. Well in that case the EVGA FTW3 bios would probably work for you. Bigger power limit and it should bring the voltage up a small bit. But 0.925 max is normal for an Nvidia Reference card. And that's what you have: A reference card made by Asus. I think that bios is linked in the first post in this thread, I'll look in a little bit for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
at confirms you are hitting the power limit I see there. And I think I found your card: Amazon.com: Asus - Gaming Graphics Card Asus 90YV0AN0-M0NM00 11 GB GDDR5X 1582 MHz: Computers & Accessories
You didn't tell us any of that before. Well in that case the EVGA FTW3 bios would probably work for you. Bigger power limit and it should bring the voltage up a small bit. But 0.925 max is normal for an Nvidia Reference card. And that's what you have: A reference card made by Asus. I think that bios is linked in the first post in this thread, I'll look in a little bit for you.
But that card is 4+4 power and mine is 4+3 wont it brick?

·
Like a fox!
2,724 Posts
But that card is 4+4 power and mine is 4+3 wont it brick?
I think you mean 8+8 and 6+8, no 1080 Ti is 4 anything. But my video card is the EVGA 1080 Ti SC Black Edition which uses the same physical PCB/card as yours (reference design PCB) and I have used the FTW3 bios on my card before and it worked perfectly fine, even though the EVGA FTW3 is 8+8 and mine is 6+8. I see in the screenshot that you're pushing only 278 watts through your card right now. I'm actually using the Asus STRIX XOC bios on mine and I commonly push 400-430 watts through my card daily in lots of games I play. It's been running like this fine for years since 2017. The cards can handle extra power with no issues in my experience. I'll have to look later and compare the I/O ports on your card vs the FTW3 though to see if you'll lose any display outputs. I just don't have time right now in the day to sit and compare photos and stuff.

2381 - 2400 of 2414 Posts