Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 2344 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitrousX1 View Post

Would this would on EVGA GTX 1080Ti FE too?
Should work, just know some have had issues with Strix BIOS although for myself best thing that ever happened to my card. It won't brick your card or anything, but some not getting the results I am.

They might not have fully followed the instructions in the OP though, nvflash 64 --protectoff is absolutely essential.

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmic View Post

Did you try if flashing Gigabyte Extreme Gaming bios with 375W TDP limit? That would be even much more interesting than Strix's 330W TDP BIOS.
No, getting such good results with the Strix don't want to try anything else.
redface.gif

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven467 View Post

I'm very interested in this, what's the worst that could go wrong?
Worse can go wrong is the power limit is at 100% and card throttling, some people say it happens to them.
frown.gif

Best thing that happened to my card though, getting 2100 with zero throttling in Heaven and in four games I tested, let me find the posts with GPU-Z logs.
biggrin.gif

Had to up the voltage to 1.093 for 2100 due to higher ambient temps.

Diablo 3: Reaper Of Souls, never goes below 2100 core, 1.093v.

GPU-ZSensorLog.txt 38k .txt file

Rise of The Tomb Raider DirectX 12. Only dipped between cut scenes.

GPU-ZSensorLog.txt 131k .txt file

Black OPs 3, 2100 substained.

GPU-ZSensorLog.txt 14k .txt file

Ghost Recon: Wildlands, same.

GPU-ZSensorLog.txt 114k .txt file

I'm really liking this Strix BIOS, see no need to try others.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCosmic View Post

Any throttling during 3DMark Time Spy benchmark? Can you show gpuz log or msi ab log from it also?
Yeah, it throttles a bit in test 1 and CPU Physics test but not at all in test 2.

The 1569 is it between the tests while they are at the loading screens.

GPU-ZSensorLog.txt 51k .txt file

Still, if there is zero throttling in the four games I tested including a DirectX 12 game then that what really counts.
thumb.gif

Oh, and I got it stable at 2100 1.075v again, the issue was it was unstable after a DDU clean uninstall and clean reinstall of the Nvidia drivers. I found a second clean reinstall of drivers without DDU fixed benches and games crashing. DDU clean reinstall causes issues I found.
redface.gif

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KedarWolf View Post

Yeah, it throttles a bit in test 1 and CPU Physics test but not at all in test 2.

Still, if there is zero throttling in the four games I tested including a DirectX 12 game then that what really counts.
thumb.gif

Oh, and I got it stable at 2100 1.075v again, the issue was it was unstable after a DDU clean uninstall and clean reinstall of the Nvidia drivers. I found a second clean reinstall of drivers without DDU fixed benches and games crashing. DDU clean reinstall causes issues I found.
redface.gif
Can hitting 120% powerlimit on ASUS bios while flashed on a FE card be dangerous for it? Thats like way above 300W?

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addsome View Post

Quote:

thumb.gif

redface.gif
Can hitting 120% powerlimit on ASUS bios while flashed on a FE card be dangerous for it? Thats like way above 300W?
Power draw is only a bit higher each rail.
biggrin.gif

And I tested the voltages to be the six and eight pin power connectors to the card using logging on my Corsair AX1500i. Voltages on each rail only went up a small amount so you WILL NOT fry your card doing this, FE's have a lot of voltage headroom according to reports here. See my Corsair logs. Max was 19 amps 1080 Ti FE BIOS, 20 amps Strix BIOS
biggrin.gif

Strix BIOS rail voltages below.

corsair_link_20170403_21_08_08.zip 1k .zip file

1080 Ti FE rail voltages.

corsair_link_20170403_22_09_24.zip 1k .zip file

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandroX View Post

Quote:

No, getting such good results with the Strix don't want to try anything else.
redface.gif
Please show your voltage curve.
Sorry, your notification will show attachment, I fixed it, meant to do the picture.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Quote:

Sorry, your notification will show attachment, I fixed it, meant to do the picture.

You got a good card man. In the ASUS bios my Gigabyte FE would crash at [email protected] and sometimes even at [email protected] I also hit the power limit running heaven at [email protected] How is it that you don't hit it but I do? Also after flashing cards do we do nvflash64 --protecton?

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Quote:

Quote:

You got a good card man. In the ASUS bios my Gigabyte FE would crash at [email protected] and sometimes even at [email protected] I also hit the power limit running heaven at [email protected] How is it that you don't hit it but I do? Also after flashing cards do we do nvflash64 --protecton?
You only need --protecton if you are flashing back to original BIOS for warranty reasons, RMAing it or something.

You tried the Strix BIOS, mine is a Gigabyte as well.

I'm using the Strix BIOS and my power limit never goes over 111% in games, Heaven etc.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Why is it that your power limit never goes over 111% in heaven but mine hits 120% even though were on the same voltage?

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Quote:

Why is it that your power limit never goes over 111% in heaven but mine hits 120% even though were on the same voltage?
You flashed the Strix BIOS?

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Quote:

Quote:

You flashed the Strix BIOS?
Yes that was on strix bios on my Gigabyte FE
I have two separate PCI-E cables going into the video card and it might be my awesome Corsair AX1500i, best power supply on the market.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperC View Post

Got my EVGA 1080ti FE running today on the Swiftech Titan block temps are great hasn't gone over 36 yet... So far running core @ 2050 and ram 6264 if I go any higher I get lower scores/fps any chance the bios would help?
It could, no risk in trying. I'm up from 2062 to 2100 core my 24/7 overclock.
biggrin.gif

I'm testing out the Aorus BIOS as soon as I can get it too.
smile.gif

·
Registered
206 Posts
Quote:

It could, no risk in trying. I'm up from 2062 to 2100 core my 24/7 overclock.
biggrin.gif

I'm testing out the Aorus BIOS as soon as I can get it too.
smile.gif
Do you mind testing the MSI bios aswell? I just wanna make sure it's not overloading the 6 or 8 pin

·
Registered
167 Posts
Waiting for confirmation that this actually works from more than 1 person and I'll be flashing it. I also have a Gigabyte card.

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
Quote:

You only need --protecton if you are flashing back to original BIOS for warranty reasons, RMAing it or something.

You tried the Strix BIOS, mine is a Gigabyte as well.

I'm using the Strix BIOS and my power limit never goes over 111% in games, Heaven etc.
Protection is handy if you are tuning an OC... ANY THING can happen when you glitch the processor including errant bus cycles.

Seems highly improbable that the random error that resulted was a successful VBIOS write cycle, but...

It's not a terrible idea to turn it back on once you are happy with what's in there.

21 - 40 of 2344 Posts