Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Old ain't dead
Joined
·
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been reading around for an answer off and on for a couple weeks now and I can't seem to find a legit one.

How can I get a better picture from my PC to my TV. I have a Samsung 240hz (120hz) 3D non-smart TV. For Xbox one and everything else it looks great.However, when I am on my PC everything kind of looks blah, not really that crisp and clear and my eyes are even straining while typing this post. lol

Whats the trick to get a better picture for my HTPC? I'm using HDMI connection currently.

I don't know if it will help but I will be upgrading from a 7570 to a 7870 here shortly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
This may be because of the refresh rate coming from the PC. If the TV is running at 120Hz but the PC is running at 60Hz, the TV is using the same frame twice as it refreshes, which can lead to a flat/stuttering picture. From my experience most older TV's that run on 60Hz tend to look better with PC's because of the refresh rates sync better. You can get the same effect from media players like AppleTV and Roku's because the also refresh at 60Hz.

Check the refresh rate on the PC to see if it is running at 50Hz, 60Hz, or 120Hz. If it's not running at 120Hz, see if you can adjust to 120Hz to match the TV or see if you can drop the TV down to match the PC.
 

·
Old ain't dead
Joined
·
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otitis View Post

This may be because of the refresh rate coming from the PC. If the TV is running at 120Hz but the PC is running at 60Hz, the TV is using the same frame twice as it refreshes, which can lead to a flat/stuttering picture. From my experience most older TV's that run on 60Hz tend to look better with PC's because of the refresh rates sync better. You can get the same effect from media players like AppleTV and Roku's because the also refresh at 60Hz.

Check the refresh rate on the PC to see if it is running at 50Hz, 60Hz, or 120Hz. If it's not running at 120Hz, see if you can adjust to 120Hz to match the TV or see if you can drop the TV down to match the PC.
This makes sense. I know its running at 60Hz right now. Hopefully there is a way to manually set it to 120Hz through windows?

I hope I didn't waist a good amount of money on my HTPC. I figured there was a solution to this problem because so many people are using newer high end TV's for their HTPC. I never thought there would be this drawback :/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
A lot of newer TV's can be adjusted down to 60Hz. Mine is a 120Hz and I have it set for 120Hz with my PS4 and Blu Ray player but at 60Hz for my HTPC and Xbox 360.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,238 Posts
Disable images processing on the TV. Disable over scanning on both the TV and the PC. Enjoy pixel perfect crisp image quality.
 

·
Old ain't dead
Joined
·
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive tried everything but what Reaper mentioned. What would Image Processing be called on my TV and I can't find over scanning anywhere. This is my first nice TV so I have never had to mess with this stuff before. I'm pretty dang lost right now lol

Okay I figured it out. I turned it on Game Mode. For whatever reason I thought it didn't have game mode. Well, I went ahead and reset all the settings, changed the picture to standard, and BOOM game mode was an option lol.. Seems to be a lot brighter!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEoBZ View Post

Ive tried everything but what Reaper mentioned. What would Image Processing be called on my TV and I can't find over scanning anywhere. This is my first nice TV so I have never had to mess with this stuff before. I'm pretty dang lost right now lol
Well there is no standard to TV menus so you will just have to poke around and try and find it. Some TV's have "PC mode" or "Gaming mode" that disables the image processing, in others they are separate options. The overscan option is usually somewhere around the same places as the other image settings (like brightness, contrast ect). I'v seen a few TV's where its in a separate harder to find menu. Like I said you just have to poke around and try and find it.

Did you check that over scanning was disabled in the catalyst control center (on the PC)? You are running AMD graphics right?
 

·
Old ain't dead
Joined
·
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_reaper View Post

Well there is no standard to TV menus so you will just have to poke around and try and find it. Some TV's have "PC mode" or "Gaming mode" that disables the image processing, in others they are separate options. The overscan option is usually somewhere around the same places as the other image settings (like brightness, contrast ect). I'v seen a few TV's where its in a separate harder to find menu. Like I said you just have to poke around and try and find it.

Did you check that over scanning was disabled in the catalyst control center (on the PC)? You are running AMD graphics right?
I made sure the box underneath the underscan/overscan scale was unchecked. But im not sure if I got it right. Don't appear much different. Should I enable GPU scaling or no? What about ITC processing?
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top