Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt as I'm not 100% certain but I don't think you need to worry about grounding anything. I've seen many people here, including myself, run their PC's with no case and the mobo just sitting on a cardboard box. Good luck with the case though, I'm planning on putting together a wood tech bench myself here soon.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
240 Posts
You should not need to ground anything, the ground gets to the PSU via the power cable, as long as you are using a three prong power cord in good condition. The psu is the ground for the rest of the computer, which is the black cables on every device. As far as heat dissipation issues with a wood case you would just need decent fans to create airflow. I cannot speak for the OP but I would love a wooden case when i have more time to create something nice, Very elegant, could blend nicely in a rooms decor, and something fairly unique.

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
pretty much what everyone has said, there are ground pins on your connectors that for a unified ground with the PSU and the the ground (earth) of your electrical system.. that being said a metal case can become electrified if you use a 2 prong plug or you dont have a ground on you electrical system.. try it as you will get a small shock if no grounding of the PSU cord..
smile.gif

·
Mr.4way SLI
5,525 Posts
I use a cardboard box when im benching an have never had to ground anything. Your fine.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
The chassis ground was necessary in the olden days when the PSUs didn't have many ground lines on the MB power connectors.

With current ATX PSUs the chassis ground is not necessary as there are more than enough ground wires.

·
Premium Member
6,030 Posts
What everyone else has said but this quote below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkenex View Post

may i ask why a wooden case? seems like bad heat distribution, and like it would cause heating problems.
The fact that its made of wood means nothing. How he choose's to design said case is what matters. Its all about fan placement and airflow ability of said case. There are metal case's with heating problems... The fact that the case is made of one material or another means nothing.

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaXxJaPxX View Post

very nice, did you build that yourself? quality build
Yeah I did, don't want to derail the thread so if you want to know more check the worklog I have in my sig

1 - 11 of 11 Posts