Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My youth club is getting a second line put in, and in turn will have two routers running, one for the Youth Attendants use + WiFi, and the other for staff use.

Router 1 - Single printer, 6 Youth Computers, WiFi and the server.
Router 2 - Single photocopier, 4 Staff Computers

The staff still need to access a folder share that has been set up on the server, my idea was to have a Ethernet Switch with both routers connected to eachother there, but im sure that the server would have IP address issues, so what should I do?
Would I need to get a separate network card for the server? or what?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Your server would need two nics (two ethernet ports)
smile.gif
, if it hasnt you can either pick a cheap internal one up or a usb one
smile.gif

After this you would need to make sure the two routers have differnt IP ranges (say 192.168.10.0 and 192.168.20.0), then it would be a case of pluging in the server to both routers and off you go,

make sure you keep the server upto date and dont have simple creds though, it would allow someone elvil to jump from one network to the other if they got access!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Not 100% sure I understand.

So you have two internet connections, thus two routers, thus two external gateways...are there switches that connect to these? Or are the 'routers' simply acting as 'networks' (i.e. they are being used as a modem+router+hub)?

If it's the latter, then yeah you need two NICs so the server will have two seperate internal IPs and two seperate default GWs.

Obviously it would be better to use a L3 switch, vlan the two subnets off and then do whatever you want with the two routers (trunk or route one subnet to one and one to the other).

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
I have 2 Routers on one switch at home.

Get the switch, have it all plugged into it. Leave the one Router you have now doing the DHCP/wifi. Set the 2nd Router to .253 and disable its dhcp and manually setup the 4 staff PC/s with manual addresses and .253 gateway. esay

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Set 2 vLANs for staff/young attendants. If server has 1 NIC, there are broadcom/intel utilities to setup virtual interfaces per vLAN.

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
Are you rigging this up with home equipment? This entire deployment could probably use a redesign.

I'd put the staff on the router behind the other router using the WAN interface. Then the students wouldn't be able to directly access the staff hosts but the staff hosts could access the youth side and server due to auto NAT translations. The youth wifi would also be segregated from the staff side.

For the dual WAN you'd really need a router with multiple WAN interfaces. Are they from different vendors? Are you just looking for more bandwidth?

If you had any sort of budget to work with I'd do something completely different.

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Each router will get internet through the RJ11 slot, their on separate phone lines, thus the need of something other than a router within a router.

Is another NIC the only way to go?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
You could in theory have both over the one nic using virtual interfaces, but that adds a layer of complexity i think you dont need

1 - 9 of 9 Posts