Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres what happened. I ran 3d Mark 06' which is the DX9 one. I got a low score I have the screen shot there. Then I used 3d Mark Vantage and got a Higher score. Someone suggested to bring my cpu to 4.0ghz. So I overclocked it to 4.0ghz and I got a increase in score from 3.6ghz. Whether its a big difference I don't know. Doesnt look like it though.

i7 920 OC'ed to 3.6ghz + ( GTX 480 845/1690/2000 ) x 2 in SLI

P38588 3DMarks
CPU Score 62189
Graphics Score 34255

i7 920 OC'ed to 4.0ghz + ( GTX 480 845/1690/2000 ) x 2 in SLI

P41714 3DMarks
CPU Score 66811
Graphics Score 37072

I installed the free version of 3d mark. I made no changes to the program and just ran 3d mark.

http://service.futuremark.com/home.a...B8C35FC0F75C60

Is this a good score? I have gtx480 sli and my i7 is oc'ed to 3.6ghz

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Actually no, that is not really a good score for your rig. My rig scores about 20500, and your is only about 1500 points higher than mine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is it normal for the resolution of the test to be at 1280x1024 filtering optimual anti aliasing none hlsl target 3_0 ps target 3))

GFX nvidia gtx 480... It doesnt show the sli is that normal?

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
oc to 4ghz.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't overclock any higher cuz I duno how to overclock. it always is unstable. I have a bclock of 180 and voltages at auto cuz i duno how to do it

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rrahim1 View Post
I can't overclock any higher cuz I duno how to overclock. it always is unstable. I have a bclock of 180 and voltages at auto cuz i duno how to do it
well you answered it yourself, time to take a look at the mobo manual, do some tweaking and fire up prime

·
Registered
My current Rig - Asus Tuf X570, Ryzen 3700X, 64GB Corsair 3600 DDR4, MSI RTX 2080 Super
649 Posts
I have the same problem with my sig rig using my Nvidia cards in SLI. Not sure if 3d mark 06 uses both cards or not, but when I ran 3d mark 06 with my HIS 5830s in CF, I was getting scores of 25,000+ I completed two runs a week ago using my 470s (stock clocks) in SLI and received a score of 16,500 or so. I was definitely not pleased. Does 3d mark 06 have a problem with Nvidia cards or is this lousy score due to using the free / basic version of 3d mark 06?

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
The ORB site doesn't show anything about the # of cards, 3d06 doesn't sli well anyway.
Adding more cards in sli raises the points by hundreds, not thousands like vantage, you hardly even see the difference.

·
Registered
My current Rig - Asus Tuf X570, Ryzen 3700X, 64GB Corsair 3600 DDR4, MSI RTX 2080 Super
649 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FtW 420 View Post
The ORB site doesn't show anything about the # of cards, 3d06 doesn't sli well anyway.
Adding more cards in sli raises the points by hundreds, not thousands like vantage, you hardly even see the difference.
I know CF and SLI are two different architectures by different competing companies (Nvidia vs ATI) however they both essentially do the same thing. One card renders half of the visuals while the other card handles the other half.

Do you know why 3d mark 06 doesn't handle SLI as well as CF? I saw a tremendous increase in my score from using one 5830 vs two 5830s in CF. The score increased in the several thousands.

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zmanster View Post
I know CF and SLI are two different architectures by different competing companies (Nvidia vs ATI) however they both essentially do the same thing. One card renders half of the visuals while the other card handles the other half.

Do you know why 3d mark 06 doesn't handle SLI as well as CF? I saw a tremendous increase in my score from using one 5830 vs two 5830s in CF. The score increased in the several thousands.
You're right, I don't know ATI very well & had never noticed this at the bot but the difference between the same user doing single & sli 5870s is quite a bit. I really don't know why CF works so much better there...

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby1 View Post
Actually no, that is not really a good score for your rig. My rig scores about 20500, and your is only about 1500 points higher than mine.
I did not notice you were refering to 06 when I said this. I believe the scores should still be similar but IDK. I was refering to vantage in my comment. Why would you test with 06 in your system?

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby1 View Post
I did not notice you were refering to 06 when I said this. I believe the scores should still be similar but IDK. I was refering to vantage in my comment. Why would you test with 06 in your system?
why not? 06 is still a decent test of cpu & gpu power, if benching for bot points 06 is usually worth more than vantage.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FtW 420 View Post
why not? 06 is still a decent test of cpu & gpu power, if benching for bot points 06 is usually worth more than vantage.
Why not? because its a DX9 program and only threads over two cores .. thats why.

Infact, maybe thats the problem. A dual core would bottleneck a 480 and 06 only uses two cores. Try vantage.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
At first I thought-> Thats pretty weak indeed, heres mine.. granted my cpu speed is high, but its 1x gtx480 oc'd on stock volts/cooler.. I would think with 6x more CPU threads, and another GPU to boot, you'd crush my score by at least 5k. By looking at some other results though, it seems SLI doesnt fair well in '06 for the 480 without screaming clock speeds..typically paired with a 4+ghz i7...

*Hers another SLI/i7 users entry on hwbot- he has lower GPU clocks than I..but he is running his i7 @ 4ghz ->http://hwbot.org/community/submissio...80_26869_marks..after looking at that, I would say your score is OK then for your CPU speed. You may want to run Vantage if '06 has got you down..or if you want to stroke your epeen a little more.

btw-> ROFL @
Quote:

a dual core would only bottle neck a 480

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby1
View Post

A dual core would bottleneck a 480

Also, try Vantage.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts