Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll admit straight off that that tile isn't really what my issue is.

I have a character with dynamic Maya hair. I would like to have a 100 frame buffer at the beginning of the animation where the character does not move at all, to give the hair time to settle, so that it doesn't try to settle while the animation is running.

How would I do this? I've tried two things: rendering the sequence starting from frame -100 and copy-pasting 100 blank frames in the timeslider. Neither one worked. You can't copy+paste on the timeslider if the frame has no info, and rendering from frame -100 doesn't work because the hair dynamics don't start working until frame 1.

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
There is a tab in the dynamic nucleus attribute tab, usually far right in the attributes panel for a dynamic object that has a box that can be checked to cause your model to start in the "settled" state. Just can't remember the name of it and maya is on my vista hdd.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Why not just start rendering from frame 100?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
You can't move it? I don't know about in maya, but in max you have the graph editor, where you could basically just select various animated elements (or all of them, excluding the 'settling' on you sim. elements) and move them along the timeline.

I'd have to imagine there's something similar in maya.

·
Premium Member
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a graph editor, but moving the keyframe info down 100 frames has the same effect as copy pasting it down 100 frames: the timeslider says the animation starts at 100, but the character actually moves from 1

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn View Post
There is a graph editor, but moving the keyframe info down 100 frames has the same effect as copy pasting it down 100 frames: the timeslider says the animation starts at 100, but the character actually moves from 1
Hmm, don't know if I follow. I guess what I'm getting at, is basically selecting all keyframes for you character, moving them to start at frame 100. Leaving your hair sim the first 100 frames to 'settle', then when you render only render frames 100 thru. x(last frame).

I gather you're saying that the char. is still animating from frame 1 even if you move the keys? It shouldn't be, if that's the case something's wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts