Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how to install from a flash drive, but just like how you can boot a LiveCD of Linux on a flash drive, how would you, if possible, go about booting from Windows on a flash drive? I tried google but I'm bogged down by millions of posts of how to install Windows via a Flash drive. Thanks for any help!

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,662 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Markisa View Post
I know how to install from a flash drive, but just like how you can boot a LiveCD of Linux on a flash drive, how would you, if possible, go about booting from Windows on a flash drive? I tried google but I'm bogged down by millions of posts of how to install Windows via a Flash drive. Thanks for any help!
I'm a little confused by the question. Are you asking if you can use a flash drive to run Windows, i.e., running the OS off of the flash disk, or are you asking if you can use the flash drive instead of the boot cd to install the OS?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitzogreg View Post
I'm a little confused by the question. Are you asking if you can use a flash drive to run Windows, i.e., running the OS off of the flash disk, or are you asking if you can use the flash drive instead of the boot cd to install the OS?
I want to install Windows to the flash drive and run it as an OS like you could with a Linux Distro's Live CD.

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,662 Posts
Quote:

I want to install Windows to the flash drive and run it as an OS like you could with a Linux Distro's Live CD.
In a nutshell, it can't be done. There are ways to botch the installation to somewhat work, but it's so slow and errors out/bluescreens so often that it's not useable.

I apologize, as this was probably what you didn't want to read.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
i think the closest thing i have done to this is installing windows to a compact flash card thru a cf to sata adaptor.. but as far as i know installing to a flash drive/usb hdd wont work.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Oh, that doesn't sound too bad
Typically once you get it running you can't install programs as making a dynamic "LiveCD" is real hard, it can be done but don't get your hopes up. =P

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
The only thing close to a Live CD of Linux for Windows is a Boot CD, there are like 3 Windows Variations,

Barts PE (XP OS)
Vista PE (Which is similar to the Barts PE, but runs Vista Instead of XP)
and another I can't remember at the moment, but I know a third exist..

The problem with the PE is the Networking plugin doesn't work, therefore though you can run from a Pre Installed Environment, you can't do so with the Internet working.

It's not technically the same as running windows either, because many functions of windows will not work, including many different kinds of programs will not work.

I'm sure there could be a commercial version out there that works just fine, but I'd be willing to bet that the public will never get their hands on it.. (For good reasons too) Some quality coders could make you a high quality Windows Boot CD, but you may pay dearly for it.

BTW: You will need to use FAT32 as a partition on the USB Drive to get it to boot. There are softwares on the market to help you make a bootable USB Drive, and it's NOT easy to get it to work correctly, trust me on this one.

Furthermore, I simply prefer to use the Linux Live CD over a boot CD due to the Networking Limitations of the Barts PE / Vista PE, and other Boot CDs, more than that, it's much easier to transfer files while in the Live CD over other Boot CDs, and the partition editor is awesome too.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by _GTech View Post
The only thing close to a Live CD of Linux for Windows is a Boot CD, there are like 3 Windows Variations,

Barts PE (XP OS)
Vista PE (Which is similar to the Barts PE, but runs Vista Instead of XP)
and another I can't remember at the moment, but I know a third exist..

The problem with the PE is the Networking plugin doesn't work, therefore though you can run from a Pre Installed Environment, you can't do so with the Internet working.

It's not technically the same as running windows either, because many functions of windows will not work, including many different kinds of programs will not work.

I'm sure there could be a commercial version out there that works just fine, but I'd be willing to bet that the public will never get their hands on it.. (For good reasons too) Some quality coders could make you a high quality Windows Boot CD, but you may pay dearly for it.

BTW: You will need to use FAT32 as a partition on the USB Drive to get it to boot. There are softwares on the market to help you make a bootable USB Drive, and it's NOT easy to get it to work correctly, trust me on this one.

Furthermore, I simply prefer to use the Linux Live CD over a boot CD due to the Networking Limitations of the Barts PE / Vista PE, and other Boot CDs, more than that, it's much easier to transfer files while in the Live CD over other Boot CDs, and the partition editor is awesome too.
Yes/No

http://www.andthatsjazz.org/bartpe.html

Code:

Code:
We think that it is vital that an internet connection be available while booted 
from the CD because then you can update any stale software from within 
bartPE.  We struggled to get our Intel Pro/100 VE network card to work, but 
this zip file works for our Intel Pro/1000 MT.  Extract it into your 
pebuilderVERSION\\drivers\\Net directory to try it.
Why would bart have this:
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/drivers/
That gives the huge idea that network drivers work since he tells you how to install your own.

I also know VistaPE can use the internet as well as a Win7PE.

WinBuilder
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showforum=22

Very helpful tool to making a VistaPE/Win7PE if I remember correctly. Now that I have DVDs again I might just try this as it's always been a topic I wanted to do.

[edit]
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/inde...howtopic=11583
http://www.boot-land.net/forums/inde...36&hl=internet

Yes it does work for internet, so the real problem is still the ability to have a dynamic system. I'm guessing that's still possible but would require a LOT of effort on the end user's part. Your best bet is to get everything running that you'd like, sound, video, networking, ect... and then add the programs you want in another build.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Markisa
View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by michintom
View Post

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-in...working-guide/

This is the guide I used for all my usb Windows 7 installs.

Oh yeah, You can also download the USB tool from Microsoft now. As long as you have an iso file of Windows, you can use the microsoft USB tool to install.
Check here.
http://store.microsoft.com/help/iso-tool

Errrr read the whole thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts