Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,324 Posts
generally, yes it will improve your temps, it depends how "flat" your cpu and heatsink are. To check this take a razor, not the shaving kind, but the kind you would use to scrape something off kind and put it up against your cpu and heatsink and hold it up to the light, if a lot of light bleeds through then you have a lot of dips and rises in it and lapping it will make those dips and rises flat
reducing the air space between your cpu and heatsink allowing lower temps

check out this guide

same properties would go for the heatsink.

btw it will compleatly void your warranty too.

• Rep+
Reactions: xwinx

· Registered
1,058 Posts
First you should decide whether you need to lap or not. Lapping is beneficial if your base is concave of convex or neither (which in that case no lapping is required). The best way to check is to use a razor blade and hold it vertical along the base of your heatsink. If you see light through it then your base is not flat and lapping could help you out. Try all different angles. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it"

· Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I don't recommend lapping a Xiggy, but if you do....

You need:
-duct(duck) tape
-a flat piece of glass or marble
-Sandpaper - Wet - 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000
-canned air
-paper towels, preferrably lint-free
-isopropyl(rubbing) alcohol and Q-Tips
-new razor blades (the old-school blades for shaving or from galss scraper

*Note* I use the glass from a picture frame I got at Michael's. I found the sandpaper grits in the paint section of the hardware store and at an auto parts store.

How to:
Tape the sandpaper to the glass or marble and start sanding. Some use a circlular motion, some use a straight up/down motion. Rotate the HS 90 degrees every so often to account for human error. Use the weight of the HS to do the work. DON'T PRESS DOWN!
Use canned air from time to time to get rid of the small metal particles from the CPU and paper.
Start with the 400 grit, wet the paper. Repeat the same motion you were using before. When the paper gets gunked up with copper (you'll see) rinse it off once and continue to use it. Switch to a higher grit when you feel the glide again. Continue in this manner until you are done with the 2000 grit, making sure to keep the HS as clean as possible. A wipe down with some rubbing alcohol and Q-Tips after each grit will help immensely in keeping the metal particles out of your way. Also, use the razor blades to test the flatness. Just hold the blade against the HS and hold it up to the light. If you can see light between the blade and HS, keep working.
At this point you will be wondering why the HS doesn't have that amazingly clear mirror finish that all the pics keep showing. Get some thermal paste on a paper towel and use that to buff the HS a little, maybe 2 minutes.Ta Dah! DO NOT USE METAL/COPPER POLISH as this will fill in the minute imperfections with the polish and hurt your temps.

*Note* The whole point of lapping is to get a FLAT surface, not to get a mirror finish. You can stop after 800 grit if that is all you want to do. If you want the mirror finish, then continue with the higher grits. You will not see any performance benefit after 800 grit, but you will get that BLING factor

That's pretty much it. Oh you might want to have some form of entertainment available. Some watch TV, but I wouldn't because it takes too much attention away from what you are doing. I prefer listening to music. That way I can get in a zone and stay in that zone. Don't forget the elbow grease either, because you will need plenty of it.
Some people have taken hours to complete this task, whereas others who have more experience can have the job done in about half an hour. It just depends.
Oh, and have fun

• Rep+
Reactions: xwinx
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.