Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the guide geared toward the DIY crowd. I payed $20 for my heatercore from Autozone and there's no way I was gonna buy two fan shrouds for $15 each from Danger Den. I've even seen a guy who makes his own out of sheetmetal and sells them for $28 each... forget it! I liked the idea of the inexpensive tupperware mod for the single fan shroud but haven't found one for the dual heater core so I figured I'd make my own.

I went to Target (www.target.com) and looked through the tupperware section and sure enough I found what are called "Interlocking Bins" by the brand "Organized Kitchen" for $2.19 each.

They measure 9"L x 6"W x 2"H (22cm x 15cm x 5cm). Now it fits perfectly widthwise on the heatercore but lengthwise the tupperware came up about a 1/2" short.

Time to do some modding. First I had to find the right tools, you’re gonna need several to pull this off. Most are available in your garage/toolshed.

-Metal file
-#2 Pencil
-Cordless screwdriver
-Hacksaw blade
-Sharp blade or exacto knife
-Cordless drill with 5/32†& 11/16" drill bits
-Four thin 3" bolts with nuts & washers.
-Heat gun or lighter

Once you have everything together you have to cut the shroud into 2 pieces to make it fit on the radiator lengthwise. I recommend not cutting right in the middle of the shroud because you'll need the that plastic to mount some of the fan screws. Next you'll need to fit the fans on the shroud and drill the holes for the fan screws using the 5/32" drill bit. After that you need to trace out the edges of the fans.

Then cut out the centers of the shrouds and mount your fans back on the shroud again.

Now you have to fill in the gaps with something. At first I tried using epoxy to glue on leftover pieces of plastic from the cut out centers. But even after I let them dry they broke off with very little effort. So I figured good ol duct tape would be the solution.

Finally it's time to mount the shrouds. Seeing how I'm using 2 shrouds I wanted to mount them to eachother. First I needed to bend the edges of the shrouds at a 90 degree angle so I could drill the holes and put the bolts through them. A heatgun would be best but I didn't have one and a hairdryer would take forever so I used a lighter to heat the plastic. Once it was soft enough I bent the edges at a 90 degree angle. Warning: Do not try to bend the plastic while it's cold because it will snap and break off... then you'll be screwed and need to start over with a new shroud. I then used a 11/16" drill bit to drill my holes followed by four 3" bolts that I bought at Home Depot for less than $2. As long as you have your holes lined up correctly it's not that hard to push them through and tighten them.

When it's all done it looks like this:

It's not the prettiest thing in the world but it definately serves its purpose. Even though it looks a little ghetto I did it all for about $6. I hope this guide helps out those looking for a good DIY project. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
^^That's my user name^^
9,927 Posts
good job, man

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I actually traced the heatercore onto a piece of cardboard and walked around target with that instead of the actual heatercore. I couldn't find anything there that fit perfectly though. That was the closest thing I could find and in my case it seems perfect if you can look past... well... its looks. All I care is that it will serve its purpose and perform the same as the more expensive ones.

btw, yes that's a #2 pencil, post edited.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatewaki
any temp diff with and without the shroud?
uh, check out my sig. i'm still building my new rig. maybe another month or so.

·
Registered
76 Posts
if i were you, i would buy not just 2, but 4 "Interlocking Bins". i will cut them with one side longer than the other, so that when i put the 2 longer pieces together, they will have enough overlap in the center where the screws will hold both of the fans. with no duct tape, sure will even better.

hmmm, just my humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jori
Cool, but what exactly is a heat shroud?
It's a piece of plastic (in this case) that channels all the air going through the fans to go through the heater core. That way no air escapes and it lost. It's been proven to lower temps.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transonic
It's a piece of plastic (in this case) that channels all the air going through the fans to go through the heter core. That way no air escapes and it lost. It's been proven to lower temps.
It also elimates the dead spot in the middle of the fan by spacing the fan away from the core

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
weapon over @ ocforums.com in the cooling classifieds (need 100 posts to access) sells custom CNC machined & bent shrouds for dual heatercores incase any of you want something a little bit less-ghetto than this

but props to the ghetto engineering - thumbs up to dremels and duct tape... and on this occasion, off-brand rubbermaid tubs as well

·
Registered
196 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aef_death_fire

if i were you, i would buy not just 2, but 4 "Interlocking Bins". i will cut them with one side longer than the other, so that when i put the 2 longer pieces together, they will have enough overlap in the center where the screws will hold both of the fans. with no duct tape, sure will even better.

hmmm, just my humble opinion.

whaattt!!! no duct tape. imposable

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
duct tape is essential, lol

·
Registered
901 Posts
I bet you could use plexiglass as well. I built a cover for my 17 in sony as well my 52 tv so my 3 year old couldn't touch the screen. It has saved me alot of money. She put nail polish all over the plexiglass TV screen and I as able to clean it off. I guess the only down side would be cost, bit it would look cool and there would be no duck tape.........

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lone136
View Post

I bet you could use plexiglass as well. I built a cover for my 17 in sony as well my 52 tv so my 3 year old couldn't touch the screen. It has saved me alot of money. She put nail polish all over the plexiglass TV screen and I as able to clean it off. I guess the only down side would be cost, bit it would look cool and there would be no duck tape.........

Speaking of plexiglass... http://img106.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc00726kz3.jpg

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
what imagination can do

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.