Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

After a lot of thinking about my specs and pc space, ive decided to mount my new setups radiator outside, i see there are many radiator mounts like This

But i dont know how to use them and dont know how many i would need for a 360mm rad

So when i was looking around the forum i saw this amazing thing

I dont know what that silver thing is that is attached to the outside of cpu and to outer part of radiator. Could someone please tell what it is and where to find it

Thanks a lot guys
biggrin.gif
:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
819 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
That is an external rad mount. You would just need to purchase a single mount and it connects to where your rear fan is. They have different versions and can even be made from an old fan, just cut the blade assembly out. You will need to go to a hardware store and get the proper length screws. The kit itself is not very expensive, usually under $10. I never used the one that i bought. It didn't seem too sturdy for my likes. I went with an alternative.

My old case was easy to mount a rad on the outside. And for many other cases it is as well. People always use these back of the case hangers so it makes the case longer and can need up to an extra foot in depth for clearance. The easy solution that most never think of is to mount your rad on top of the case. All you need to do is cut two openings for the hoses to go through and use some two sided tape to secure the rad. You can do a push/pull easily this way. You will need to get some fan screens to protect the blades from fingers.

I actually liked this solution to my old mid tower. It looked sleek and like it was done at the factory yet gave me easier access to replace fans. I switched to a full tower to keep the rad inside and I regret it. Now it is a real pain in the arse to access the fans which seem to freeze up on me all of the time from the dist buildup in a pull position.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
I do this all the time. You just get long screws. Put them going out of the case though the rear exhaust fan. Then spin on some nuts, but don't make them tight. Then hold up your radiator and screw it on...for a heavier radiator you might want to tighten some nuts up against the radiator to make it more secure...or even use some screw sleeves. Then tighten the nuts against the back of your case.

The silver thing just looks like a heat sink that has fan holes on both sides...they probably just used that instead of long screws to connect the radiator to the case. Though it looks like that would be kind of hot boxing that one fan spot...I say kind of because the air coming out of the case is still fine to cool with. However, using the long screws actually puts a significant space between the case and the radiator so the air is mostly fresh. Also that heat sink would really be cutting the airflow for the rear exhaust fan.

Depending on the set up and desk layout...some times I mount the radiator side ways.

Though I'd like to know how they are powering the fans...looks like the fan power cables just run off the picture...are they using a separate jumped PSU to power them? A voltage reducer giving 12v from a wall socket? I always need to figure a good way to feed the wires back into the case...which isn't always easy to do with out making a mess of wires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@15goudreau nah m8 not the compression fittings
smile.gif

@Mercyflush64 aye m8 i have a nzxt phantom 410 mid tower but the top clearence is for 240mm rad but i cant mount a thick one so im thinking of mounting it outside.......

@Vagrant Storm aye m8, theyre are powering it separately with a jumper and socket plug. I thought about the idea of long screws but that setup looked sturdy so am trying to find out about it

Could someone please link me to a place where i can get that ? preferably performance-pcs or frozencpu

·
Registered
819 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Not without doing lots of research. I don't like the way radiators look outside of cases so I avoid that route entirely. You could buy a radiator box for the purpose of holding all your radiators and just use two QDCs for moving and draining reasons.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jony47 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15goudreau View Post

Looks like this is what is in that picture

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9095/ex-rad-159/Koolance_Radiator_Mounting_Bracket_w_Quick-Release_BKT-HX001P.html?tl=g30c637s1731

Is that what you were looking for?
yep thanks a lot ...... wow thats expensive..... know any other a little cheaper
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
One set of what you linked in the OP should hold it fine. I've built about a dozen machines doing the screw method and all of them have been four screws holding them down...and no radiators have flown away or been damaged while moving the cases around a bit. Though I am sure you could go down to the hardware store and buy something similar...though it wouldn't be painted black and you might need to drill holes in it.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jony47 View Post

@ Can i use something like this

With this

For holding down that rad with fans ?
Those wouldn't really work...unless the threads are long enough to go through the case and mount to the fan. Plus, that would have it right against your case...which the airflow isn't a problem (though not ideal), but likely it will block access to places where you will need attach cables.

I am pretty sure they are just posts to attach fans to radiators a little more neatly. So they probably won't be long enough.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

Those wouldn't really work...unless the threads are long enough to go through the case and mount to the fan. Plus, that would have it right against your case...which the airflow isn't a problem (though not ideal), but likely it will block access to places where you will need attach cables.

I am pretty sure they are just posts to attach fans to radiators a little more neatly. So they probably won't be long enough.
oh ok .... so what do i need to use mate ? the one's that come with the radiator ? will that be enough ? or do i need something more lengthier ??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15goudreau View Post

You would need to fit a lock nut on the end of the short part and two on the long part, in order to secure it properly.
oh ok thanks will keep that in mind bro
biggrin.gif
:D

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Just some long 6/32 screws...I believe the ones I use are six inches (15cm) long. And some nuts.
biggrin.gif

Shouldn't cost much of anything at any hardware store. I would just go the screw route if you don't got with a fancy fan box or anything like that. Because there really wouldn't be any difference.

You could go a little longer if you wanted more space in the back too...or shorter

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

Just some long 6/32 screws...I believe the ones I use are six inches (15cm) long. And some nuts.
biggrin.gif

Shouldn't cost much of anything at any hardware store. I would just go the screw route if you don't got with a fancy fan box or anything like that. Because there really wouldn't be any difference.

You could go a little longer if you wanted more space in the back too...or shorter
Will this do bro ?

The description says :

Spare screw for XSPC radiators.

4x 6mm 6-32 UNC
4x 30mm 6-32 UNC

is it specific for XSPC rads or will it work on my swiftech 240mm XP rad bro ?

Thanks
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Well, the ones I was talking about would be about a 150mm long.

They would go though the 40mm thick fan inside the case...then the case itself and the air gap (roughly 60mm)...then through another 40mm fan...then into your radiator. Just careful not to screw them in too far or you might damage your radiator.

This would be assuming a push setup on your radiator. Though you don't have to have another fan there. It is typically better to do a push setup though and the extra fan makes it seem more stable...but it is fine even without any fans at all.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts