Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting BOINC to use all GPUs.
Use this method only if your having problems getting them detected on BOINC.

1. Open Notepad

2. Paste code

Code:

Code:
<cc_config>
<options>
<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>
</options>
</cc_config>
3. Save as cc_config.xml to BoincData folder (see below)

Default directories for BoincData
Windows 98/SE/ME: C:\\Windows\\All Users\\BOINC\\ or C:\\Windows\\Profiles\\All Users\\BOINC\\
Windows 2000/XP: C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\BOINC\\
Windows Vista/Windows 7: C:\\ProgramData\\BOINC\\
Linux: wherever you unpack it/BOINC/
Macintosh OS X: /Library/Applications Support/BOINC/

4. Open BOINC Manager and start your projects.

For reference:
<use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>
1 = True
0 = False

Under Tasks you will see Device (x) for different tasks, the number informs you which GPU its using.
Device (0) = 1st slotted GPU
Device (1) = 2nd
Device (2) = 3rd

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
I did not have to use this when I ran a ATI HD 5770 1GB and Nvidia 8800GT 512MB in the same rig.

My ATI card was the main card (the one that the display plugged into). I installed the first catalyst suite for it. Then I installed Nvidia drivers. I was able to crunch GPU units in [email protected] on the Nvidia and Collatz on both cards without need for that code.

·
Premium Member
6,454 Posts
sometimes boinc will see all gpus. sometimes i will not. if you have a monitor hooked to each gpu boinc will for sure see them as active. sometimes when boinc can see them it will still set gpu0 to do all the work and deactivate all remaining gpus, when this happens is when the script is necessary to get the remaining gpus working. i have been usng this to get them working since boinc released a version that supported cuda. Bal3wolf will vouch for me.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I had this exact problem a little while ago when I was playing around with 2 5770s - BOINC would only use the active GPU (the one handling the output to the monitor) and not the secondary GPU.

This might've saved me a lot of grief

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
My rig is one of those that automatically uses all GPU's without any config file. Guess I got lucky, but there are also other things you can throw in that file to change things. Like report all tasks immediatly, and log this or that.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLChris View Post
Yea I am working on other guides for other things, don't want to complicate this one.

Good choice. Also some people get mad if you use some of the options, like "report tasks immediatly" because they say it uses up too much resources from the servers. I figure I'm spending my money/time, I'll report it back any time I want to. If the servers can't handle it, they need to be upgraded.

·
Premium Member
16,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by steadly2004 View Post
Good choice. Also some people get mad if you use some of the options, like "report tasks immediatly" because they say it uses up too much resources from the servers. I figure I'm spending my money/time, I'll report it back any time I want to. If the servers can't handle it, they need to be upgraded.
Yea I have the auto submit, but thats cause I am not connected to the internet all the time so when I am I need it to do so.

I won't be explaining how to do that cause some projects like Collatz & DNETC will send alot of data back and forth.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Can anyone help me get some work for my 4670...my 5850 isn't letting it have any...or projects aren't giving any wu's to the 4670...And I'm trying to get work on either DNETC or Collatz, both of which support the 4670.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ya, no work units will come for it...

Edit: Strike that...now DNETC is using the both cards...on the same wu? That can't be good...given it's a 5k optimized wu, or is that how it's supposed to work?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Is it possible to set one card to work on a certain project?

·
Premium Member
16,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JL421 View Post
Sadly no, I have requested it in the Berkley forums, and many of our members have tried messing with the config files trying to get that to work.

It only works with CPUs (sorta) where you limit your project to 1 core/thread and then another project will just pick up the next available core/thread.

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JL421 View Post
Adding to LilChris's reply, setting a card to work on a certain project will definitely become an option in the future, with the rate that GPGPU is gaining popularity, the guys behind the BOINC software will definitely add it in the software sooner or later, at least I hope they do

1 - 20 of 33 Posts