Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm completely new to these forums, so I don't know if this is the right place but I *did* do some browsing, honest

Anyway, I have this processor, it's getting kinda dated now but I hear it's good for overclocking. Only...I've never overclocked anything before.

Can someone recommend the settings I should overclock to, and any tips? My rig should be in my sig, note I don't have any extra cooling except stock. It's currently running at 52*C, usually it's at 45 or so.

Sorry if I'm not giving you enough info, total newb both to the forum and to overclocking. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
The first thing to start off with overclocking is to get all the software tools you need. I would recommend CPU-Z to validate and check your overclocks, CoreTemp to monitor your temperatures, and IntelBurnTest for quick stability testing, and once you reach settings you like, Prime95 Small FFTs for overnight testing. For a first time overclocker, I started with raising the FSB until it was no longer stable (quick check with 5 runs of the IBT). Then I raised the voltage a notch or 2 and started on FSB again. Always check your temps and do not allow voltages to exceed their recommended values. For safety, I never would go above 1.5v on 65nm chips (yours). Another thing that can affect stability is RAM. If you want to overclock the RAM at a later time, lower the ram divider and keep your ram speed close to stock.

The E6320 is pretty good at overclocking from what I've seen, but I would seriously recommend a new cooler. 52*C at stock speeds leaves you with a very tiny amount of room to overclock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K, temperature is now between 42 and 45 according to the readings.

Anyone recommend software to use to overclock?

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinky0926 View Post
K, temperature is now between 42 and 45 according to the readings.

Anyone recommend software to use to overclock?
No don't use software to overclock, but instead learn how the bios works. Eventually you will get the hang of it and then you are glad you learned how it works

Is the temperature 45c at load or idle? Because if that is the idle temperature I don't think you will be able to overclock much on the stock cooler. However, the bios use [auto] CPU voltage and you can probably lower it even at a higher clockspeed. Changing the FSB in the bios will also raise the CPU speed.

Run the memory in unlinked mode if you don't want to run into issues quickly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
42 at idle, I believe. I just cleaned out my computer last night, the cpu fan was pretty clogged up and I think that's made a difference. I take it I don't want to go over 55C or so?

By the way I would have already fooled around with overclocking but just away on holiday soon, so I'll fiddle with it when I get back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts