Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overclocking Using nVidia's Driver SoftwareBy ATVkid*AFZ*

First off, let's get the legal crap straight: by reading this guide and doing what i am about to tell you, you do not hold me accountable for any damage occuring to your video card, i.e. overheating, burning, scorching, frying, etc.

let's get down to business. i prefer to use the overclocking utility built into the nvidia drivers. to do this, you need to download the latest drivers, not beta, but WHQL drivers that are on nvidia.com.... WHQL means that microsoft's tested them and they are compatible with everything... you can download beta drivers, but these haven't been tested w/ microsoft yet, i personally stick w/ the WHQL drivers because they're fully compatible w/ my hardware. in order to access the overclocking utility, you need to right click on your desktop, click on properties. click on settings, it's on one of the tabs, then go to advanced. now if you've installed the drivers, then you shoulud see a tab that says "GeForce (your model number here)"...click on it, then it'll show you the properties of the card. now, you should see a side bar that lists things like "video overlay settings", "tools", etc. you need to find the bar labeled "clock frequency settings".

If you can't find the tab:

if you can't find it, then you need to go and download "rivaTuner", just google for it. you download it, click on the tab next to "customize" (it's in the middle of the page) where your driver is displayed... click on the thing that looks like your card when you click the thing, then go to driver overclocking, overclock like 10 mhz... make sure that the box is checked that says "apply overclocking at windows startup: xxx/xxx" , where xxx is the numbers displayed... make sure to test before clicking apply, otherwise it won't let you apply it. restart your comp, then go back into the nvidia display thing i told you about before. the tab i told you about is there now...

If you found the tab i told you about:
now click on the bubble that says "manual overclocking" and read the statement, when you get to the bottom the icon that says "i agree" will light up, and now you can overclock. start bumping up the core speeds and memory speeds, then click on test changes. this tests the changes, then you will be able to apply settings. make sure you have the box checked that says "apply these settings at startup"... this lets you do just what it says... then you can start upping more, until it tells you that it failed to run the tests at the selected settings, you get a black screen, and then it reverts to the last applied settings. find your upper limit to the card's capability, then you're done. check back every few days to see if you can oc it more, my 5200 did some more mhz every day till like a few days passed, but you need to have good cooling to do it... make sure it has a fan on it...lol.

Using "Detect Optimal Frequencies"
Using this is a great way to find out where you need to start overclocking. clicking this will find decent frequencies, and you can go up from there. that way, you don't have to spend an hour on clicking up up up many times, you can get to the optimally detected frequencies and start overclocking from there... it saves time!

This is a great way to squeeze that extra performance out of your card, without getting a new one. on some cards they overclock great
if you have any questions, then feel free to PM me or post right here. if there is anything i've omitted, just let me know... first guide, so i'm a little nervous about how it's gonna come out...lol.

newly updated screenie that explains what to do:

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
its a valiant attempt at keeping things short and sweet
as you probably noticed tho if u checked the link in my sig i tried to keep things short but still ended up making like 15+ posts covering it all

·
Banned
2,222 Posts
what i mean is VCs are tricky lil bastards
you try desperately to keep things short and to the point for everybody but you still end up writing a massive essay where there are so many ways to do the same thing, that and the fact i think VCs are one of the single components in a system which can take up more paper to tell ppl about than the rest of the entire system, or maybe thats just me where i go into too much detail. anyways as said its a nice short guide keeping to the point, its kinda like a quick reference thing, short, but holds plenty of info for nvidia users

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, i wanna get it stickied...
wink wink...

i do see your point though, it does take a lot to explain a topic like this... i just thought a quick little guide might work, because i've used this idea a lot over my stay here at overclock.net and decided to publish it...

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm. did you follow the directions? download rivatuner, oc like 2 mhz and restart. then, go back into where the screenie says and it should be there....works for me every time now...

·
Registered
5 Posts
ATVkid*AFZ* said:
I missed the windows requirement until this morning. But even so I could boost from 250 to 375 core on 5700LE. Boosting the memory, too much caused some real artifacts. LOL.

If you can't find the tab:

if you can't find it, then you need to go and download "rivaTuner", just google for it. you download it, click on the tab next to "customize" (it's in the middle of the page) where your driver is displayed... click on the thing that looks like your card when you click the thing, then go to driver overclocking, overclock like 10 mhz... make sure that the box is checked that says "apply overclocking at windows startup: xxx/xxx" , where xxx is the numbers displayed... make sure to test before clicking apply, otherwise it won't let you apply it. restart your comp, then go back into the nvidia display thing i told you about before. the tab i told you about is there now...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I overclocked pny 5200 ultra and I got 350 and 750. Would this be acceptable to play Splinter Cell 3 at a higher resolution. I tried the demo and the default resolution was 480*680.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmm....you could try adn do it, it wouldn't hurt to try, would it? I think it may, although you may have to turn the detail levels to a lower spec to get it to play without any skips..

Good luck,
ATVkid

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
im not sure if you can moniter fan speed on a card, unless your fan is pluged in to your mobo like mine is. as far as the temp goes, you need to hack the bios for your card and enable the temp monitor. although im not sure if you card will let you.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can't monitor fan speed simply because there isn't a monitoring cable/the detection equipment inside the fan housing to allow for that. As far as temps go, a card BIOS hack will solve that, if you need help with that, please specify the exact model card you're looking to hack.

·
Registered
363 Posts
im sure u mean video card so its this- Geforce FX 5500 and to let u know my comp is stock except the video card and so some of the BIOS settings maybe locked or hidden!!!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts