Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please Note

There are other tutorials out there like this I just wanted to put my method. This is just my way of painting the interior of a case and there are many other ways.

Introduction:

This Guide is on how to paint in the interior of your case.

I am going to be completely honest with you guys this is probably not the best way to paint your case. This is just way I did and it worked great for me. This guide is just for painting you the interior of your case. There are a ton of other tutorials on how to do stuff paint as well I just wanted to make one that worked best for me.

What Your Going to Need:

- A well ventilated area such as a garage with the door open.

- 3-4 Sheets of 100-200 grit sand paper. Any grit in-between there will do.

- Three cans of primer. You can also use self etching primer.

- Four cans of spray paint. For the interior I recommend flat(matte) paint. It is not glossy but the easiest to work with and I personally think it looks the best. (Everyone recommends that you use automotive grade paint but I just used the cheap krylon fusion from ace hardware. It's really just up to you).

- (Optional but reccomended) Three to four cans of clear coat. (Make sure it matches the type of paint you are using. ex. Flat/Matte paint get flat/matte clear coat.)

- A Drill with a 1/8 drill bit

- A rivet popper (Should only be like 5-10 bucks at ace hardware or home depot)

- About 50 1/8" by 1/8" rivets.

Step 1 | Stripping Down the Case

The first step in the process is to take apart every thing apart that you can with a screw driver such as fans, hdd cages, front bezel and side panels ect...

Remember to keep track of your screws and accessories. I recommend using sandwich bags to hold the screws and using permanent marker to label the bags so you can remember what they are for.

Step 2 | Popping the Rivets

Now you need to get your drill and your 1/8" drill bit and start popping off the rivets. All you do is take the drill bit and place it on the rivet and start drilling until you hear a pop and the rivet will be gone. Part of it will end up on your bit and it can be easily be taken off by taking something like a pliers and putting the drill in reverse and they should slide right off.

You can refer to a video made by "tjharlow" on youtube here at

I hope this guide helped you and good luck with painting!

·
Registered
26 Posts
sweet tut, ive been thinking about painting my HAF white but i havent been too sure... is there any precautions i should know about if im painting plastic rather then metal?

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deimos1993 View Post
sweet tut, ive been thinking about painting my HAF white but i havent been too sure... is there any precautions i should know about if im painting plastic rather then metal?
It's just the same, but you get different primers and stuff.

It's easy enough to paint plastic, I think that it actually turns out better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa View Post
It's just the same, but you get different primers and stuff.

It's easy enough to paint plastic, I think that it actually turns out better.
are there any paint/primer that i can use for both?

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
You can just use the same paint I'm sure.

And you don't really have to prime plastic, just rub it a little with sandpaper.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by meticadpa View Post
You can just use the same paint I'm sure.

And you don't really have to prime plastic, just rub it a little with sandpaper.
Yeah I would use the same paint as you would for the metal, the primer wont hurt the plastic so I recommend just using it anyway.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Nice. I'm just a bit afraid of the rivet part. Must I re-use the ones on the case or can I buy new ones? Of the same size, obviously.

Nice tutorial. My Guardian 921 is going to rock soon (while I wait for my 750FTW RMA, lol)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eastrider
View Post

Nice. I'm just a bit afraid of the rivet part. Must I re-use the ones on the case or can I buy new ones? Of the same size, obviously.

Nice tutorial. My Guardian 921 is going to rock soon (while I wait for my 750FTW RMA, lol)

You must buy new rivets although they are very cheap.

Dont be afraid its really not that hard just do it.

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
Hey man nice write up, I painted my case like this with some Krylon I believe, from home depot, 5$ a can, it's a lot better than the cheap 1$ can I use from home depot for general use, that stuff sucks if u need something to come out real nice

1 - 20 of 62 Posts