Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first, I'm not 100% this is the right section, the Nvidia section has quite a few!

Edit: CONFIRMED video cards
-- 8800GTX
-- 8800GTS 640mb
-- 8800GTS 320mb

Also, I'm not 100% sure this will work with 8800GTX or 8800GTS 640mb, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't Could anyone with those cards verify for me, please? I use a 8800GTS 320mb, but they should be the same. Also, this can be done with any driver version. I applied it while running the 97.92 drivers, and am now using the 158.19 drivers, and it still works just fine.

Ok, I know a lot of people seem to think nTune is the only way to get the fan speed set, and that solution simply SUCKS. Plain and simple, resetting it EVERYtime is a huge hassle.

How do I do it? I use RivaTuner.

First, load up RivaTuner, and click here.

This SHOULD bring up a screen that looks like this.

From here, it's very self explanatory.

Click "Enable low-level fan control" to allow yourself to move the slider.
The next step is a VERY complicated one, so PAY ATTENTION!

Click "Fixed" and (Pay attention now!) DRAG the slider to the percentage you want. You can also use the up/down arrows or probably the left/right arrows as well, if you want to get an exact percent.

Next, click the checkbox that says "Apply fan settings at Windows Startup" and hit "save" to save your selected percentage. Click Apply/ok, then make sure that Riva loads when windows starts.

This can be accomplished by opening Riva, and clicking the "Settings" tab at the top. From here, hit "Run at Windows startup" and select whichever method you prefer. I use the registry key because it seems more fancy and maybe makes it load sooner that way when Windows boots. Click apply/ok.

You are done, now everytime you boot into Windows, your fan will automatically run at the set percentage. Well, mostly. Mine is set for 90% and it runs at 89.7% or something.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Doesn't always work with Vista unless you disable driver signing. Even so, it doesn't always work. The only way to permanently set the fan speed is via BIOS mod.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3mig0d View Post
This SHOULD bring up a screen that looks like this.

I don't get it, why? Only get The NVStrap driver tab, no Fan tab...

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
oh, yea, that's the first thing i downloaded, horrible, yea...

anyway it can't be that then...

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I don't even know.... I installed the latest ones but they caused a horrible crash, so I called them for the link to the earlier version and the same thing happened! I am running the ones from the DVD... (75.5?)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow. Those are old lol. My card came with 97.92, and I used those until I installed these new ones.

The new drivers seem to be affecting my OC ability on my card though. I had to go back to stock because it was causing a lot of problems. I gotta figure out what to do.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
So I wonder if I should bother with the newer ones... Then again I might have had a problem because I was running Media Center which is usually a big pain in the rear when it comes to whether it is supported or not, then when it is supposed to be some times I still get the feeling it might not be "completely supported"... I tried the XP-64 drivers but since on that partition I don't have internet because my WiFi card isn't supported on 64-bit XP I think it might have a problem with the video card's drivers because I didn't get to download the XP-64 updates... I don't know... I also have an XP-32 wich I am going to try to install... that way I'll have internet and I will be able to get a solid and fully supported OS going... lol!

By the time my NLEs use 64-bit rendering I'll be going into Vista anyway... yet an other Windows OS to buy... :swearing:

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah. I think the new drivers are a curse and a gift. Nice scores for benching, but not much more. I couldn't do much without locking up badly for a good 20 or 30 seconds and then it running sluggishly after that.

That, and no fan support in Vista. I'm making the jump currently, but luckily I was foolish enough to dual-boot with XP. Saved my rear.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
You should keep that XP partition dude... I am so glad the days of not enough HDD space to keep old you OS indefinitely are over...

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, while Vista is nice, it's going to take a few more months before I can call it my single OS. It'll get there, just needs time. I think I'm going to revert my old drivers on XP so I can OC my card. I miss it not being OCed, runs so slow compared haha. Literally lose about 300fps in ATItool when it's not OCed.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Buy ATItools will read all kinds of weirdly low frame rates. I was told not to look at that as a measure of performance. You really have to run 3Dmark or game and feel it out.

Dude, if you are at stock then screw the new drivers, go all the way back like me! lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts