Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pistons50
View Post

will a computer power supply work? My car amp has two 30amp fuses.

In theory it should, i saw a guide on here a while back on how to do this, ill try and find it....

Edit: Hey, I acctually found it! Linky

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Will it work, yes, if you jumper the green to a black the PSU will turn on, then tie all the yellow wires (+12V) and black wires together, it will run the amp.

However, it will not run it very well nor will the PSU last all that long.

1) The amp, I'm assuming to power subs, will draw large sums of power at random intervals, wish causes strain on the PSU which were designs for more sustained loads.
2) The PSU is designed to be loaded on all its rails 3.3V/5V and the 12V rail so it will work but its not the best for it and may damage the PSU.
3) The PSU probably doesn't have enough power on the 12V rail to fully power the amp, thus the amp might draw too much current from the psu and damage it.

I've done it before, I've also killed a psu before doing it.

Other options/solutions include: Using a cap/battery to distribute the draw from the PSU and try using multiple PSUs either in series (jumper 3.3 or 5v in series) or in parallel to lessen the power draw on the 12v rails.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can't see any reason why it should not work. Just make sure that you have a PSU with enough amperage on the 12V rail. You might want to use a dedicated PSU for your amp, though (using the green to black wire trick).

The only concern that I have is that the PSU wires are only 18AWG usually, so you might want to gang up a couple of connections (like you do with video cards) to prevent the wires from melting or overheating.

Edit: The suggested inline-battery might do the trick. Actually, Google uses a small inline lead-acid battery for backup reasons, so an inline battery should work quite well.

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
pistons50
Good luck finding a computer PSU that will handle a 60a power draw at random sudden intervals like that. Honestly, you would be better served at this point to find a plate amp, or a rack amp that is designed for home use. You'll be looking at an expensive PSU, plus car batteries in line, and maybe even a capacitor. 60a worth of draw is a decently sized car amplifier. Most car charging systems can't even handle that at stock. Let alone a PC power supply.

xxaderxx
This CAN work. However you'll also need a stiffening capacitor inline as well, to keep the power draw even off the battery. Last time I tried doing this, I fried my amp...so be warned. None of these methods are advisable. It's usually a better idea to just grab a good plate / rack amp that is designed to run off home power.

EDIT:
To anybody reading my thread that was linked above:
That thread was made with the intent to show that it CAN be done. Not that it SHOULD be done. Especially with high power amplifiers. Please note, I used a 200w amplifier in my example. Other people have used car head units before. I really cannot recommend a high power amplifier off a PSU.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
the price of a psu that would be able to handle a 60A car amp will be more expensive then a simple home amplifier.

save yourself alot of trouble and just get a normal amp for home use ?

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Farih
View Post

the price of a psu that would be able to handle a 60A car amp will be more expensive then a simple home amplifier.

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxaderxx
View Post

pioneerisloud - when are you switching to FIisloud?
https://ssl.perfora.net/ficaraudio.c...dex.shopscript

That update has not been posted yet in my car log
. Oh wait wrong thread.....

All I can tell you, is that I am in the process of a major overhaul of my entire trunk
. My screenname is just that, a screenname. The only thing I plan to run by Pioneer when all is said and done, is my head unit.

·
Premium Member
16,094 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Farih View Post

I think the price of an engine and electrical circuit from a car would be cheaper than that kind of PSU.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts