Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys..
I posted this in the hard drive section and ppl there said to just drag and drop.
Well I was about to do that, but I seem to lost my way.
I've messed with RAID 0 and stuff. but this is new to me.
I've partition as well.. but all I want to do is "drag and drop" everything from my 500 gb Seagate HDD to my new Samsung Spinpoint 1tb hard drive.
Is there flaws in this process, or is it a simple thing to do.
Thanks
v1ral

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
You want your same install on a new hard drive?

If you are changing hard drives, I would just go with a fresh install, if you don't want to do that, you need to find a program that can clone a hard drive.

so you will hook up you new drive to the computer, and boot into windows, then use the program to clone your boot drive to the new drive, then boot from the new drive when the computer turns on.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasherht;13056142
You want your same install on a new hard drive?

If you are changing hard drives, I would just go with a fresh install, if you don't want to do that, you need to find a program that can clone a hard drive.

so you will hook up you new drive to the computer, and boot into windows, then use the program to clone your boot drive to the new drive, then boot from the new drive when the computer turns on.
Yeah that is what I wanna do.
Suggest any software.. pref. freeware. to clone.?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Backup whatever files you need and reinstall windows.

Probably going to be your best bet. I reinstalled yesterday on my desktop and it took about 20 minutes to install. After that I just re-downloaded my steam games overnight.

Plus a fresh install just feels so.. fresh
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
No there shouldn't be any issues.

I suggest installing windows to your 1tb, then moving the files you want to save to the 500gb and reformating the 500 afterwards.

·
Registered
298 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts
I used Acronis True Image WD Edition (Free if you have a WD hard drive)

I cloned my laptop Seagate 5400.6 320 gig HD to a New WD BEVT 500 gig in about a hour.

I just popped both drives in my desktop (didn't even format the 500 gig or create a partition, Acronis did it all for me), cloned the 320 to the 500, popped the WD 500 gig in the laptop and booted with my old settings, files.

Just get a free CLONE software, if you have a WD lying around get Acronis True Image WD Edition for free
http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
No need to reinstall Windows.

Seagate has a free clone tool (also an Acronis product). Just download and install it. Put the new drive in the computer, boot it up and follow the directions to clone the drive info. Once done, turn back off, remove old drive (or change setting in BIOS to boot off the new drive first) and use the new drive.

• Rep+
Reactions: Cmoney

·
Registered
676 Posts
Don't both messing with the partitions in Windows... just do this:

1) Insert Windows Disk
2) Let the system boot into Windows Setup using the disk
3) Choose a new installation, not to repair an existing one.
4) When it comes time to choose where to install Windows it will list all drives and corresponding partitions. If there are already partitions on the HDD you want to use then delete them, format the drive if needed, and then select that "unallocated" space for the new windows installation
5) Viola!
wink.gif

·
Registered
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blupupher;13059855
No need to reinstall Windows.

Seagate has a clone tool. Just download and install it. Clone the drive info and use the new drive.
I never knew of such a tool... thanks for the info
wink.gif

1 - 20 of 25 Posts