Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey OCN

I was wondering if anyone knew a good way to protect the speakers, i have some problems where for example if someone turns on/off a light it will cause the speakers to crackle/pop, aside from that issue they are working perfectly well

They are connected to a surge protector, that has battery backup protection as well, but beyond that not sure what to do with them

there is nothing wrong with the House Wiring, although it may appear that way, everything works fine, only got issues with Speakers

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,934 Posts
The only solution that I can think of is to use a different outlet.

You see, I recently moved to a new outlet because I discovered the other outlet is not properly grounded. Unfortunately, this means I had to plug into an outlet that shares the same circuit as a light switch. So now when I turn the light switch off, I have to do it quickly if I want to avoid the pop sound. What's worse is I don't know whether or not this is harmful, so I'm obsessed with turning the switch off quickly to avoid the pop sound. But hey - at least the outlet is grounded.

But yeah, I am using a surge suppressor too. It's Tripp-Lite's HT10DBS (it's $109.99 shipped from Newegg, just in case the price makes you say "whoa"). The reason I switched to this outlet is because I learned that surge suppression is not possible if the outlet isn't grounded.

• Rep+
Reactions: Willage

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it would be properly grounded since these are new outlets that were installed, and done properly, i think the issue is just that they are on the same circuit as the Lights are on hence are causing problems, is it possible to put them on another circuit or do they have to be on the same one as the lights, or are there any workarounds for the Light switch issues that you may know of

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,934 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willage
View Post

it would be properly grounded since these are new outlets that were installed, and done properly, i think the issue is just that they are on the same circuit as the Lights are on hence are causing problems, is it possible to put them on another circuit or do they have to be on the same one as the lights, or are there any workarounds for the Light switch issues that you may know of

I don't know much, so all I know is that using a different outlet is probably the only solution. But if I were an experienced electrician, then I probably would have attempted to change the circuit somehow.

Either way, I share the same concern: is this popping sound an indication of something harmful that's happening when I flip the light switch?

• Rep+

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt it will cause any issues to the speakers, or harm them in anyway, since it would of damaged the speakers the first time the light switch was flipped and since there still working ok, i think its just interference between the light switch circuit and power circuit, i have actually asked a electrician about this, but he didn't know about it, of course i probably wasn't wording it right, could ask him about it since we do know a electrician, but i doubt it can be changed to a new circuit

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,934 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willage
View Post

I doubt it will cause any issues to the speakers, or harm them in anyway, since it would of damaged the speakers the first time the light switch was flipped and since there still working ok, i think its just interference between the light switch circuit and power circuit, i have actually asked a electrician about this, but he didn't know about it, of course i probably wasn't wording it right, could ask him about it since we do know a electrician, but i doubt it can be changed to a new circuit

I'm more worried about what it might be doing to my entire system.

Anyway, if you have the luxury of trying a different outlet, then do that. If you have to use a 3-prong (grounded) extension cable in order to extend the surge suppressors power cable, then go for it. It might be worth it (as long as the outlet is grounded).

• Rep+

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I doubt it will do anything to your system, i think Speakers are just more sensitive to this then other devices are because they are used to play Sound (obviously) so you are able to hear the slight interference between the power and the light circuits

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
It's just a form of electromagnetic interference (EMI), and under FCC requirements electronics have to accept/tolerate a certain amount of EMI.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kz26 View Post
It's just a form of electromagnetic interference (EMI), and under FCC requirements electronics have to accept/tolerate a certain amount of EMI.
yes that's true, but this is interference between 2 different circuits, most devices would be able to cope with something like that, but since speakers must be more sensitive and are playing sound, you can hear the interference when you start using devices that are on the other circuit, in this case power circuit and the light switch circuits

just got no idea how to solve the problem

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,934 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willage View Post
yes that's true, but this is interference between 2 different circuits, most devices would be able to cope with something like that, but since speakers must be more sensitive and are playing sound, you can hear the interference when you start using devices that are on the other circuit, in this case power circuit and the light switch circuits
But I'm saying that this outlet and the light switch are on the same circuit. I am not an electrician, but it sounds like they're really close to each other on this circuit as well, just like it is with mine.

That's why I said to try a different outlet. Do you have a different outlet that you can try?

• Rep+

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
But I'm saying that this outlet and the light switch are on the same circuit. I am not an electrician, but it sounds like they're really close to each other on this circuit as well, just like it is with mine.

That's why I said to try a different outlet. Do you have a different outlet that you can try?
in the same room yes, and have already tested them and had the same issues, i am not an Electrician either i am just taking guesses that it could be 2 circuits interfering, or 2 devices on the same circuit colliding

·
Registered
744 Posts
just ignore its nothing you should worry about..and If you still want to solve your problem of cackle/pops when something is switched on.. just buy a ferrite bead and tug your speakers mains cord through it..it will reduce it...

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,934 Posts
Quote:

in the same room yes, and have already tested them and had the same issues, i am not an Electrician either i am just taking guesses that it could be 2 circuits interfering, or 2 devices on the same circuit colliding
There are 3 outlets in the room I'm in right now. 2 are grounded, but the 1 that isn't grounded is the most convenient location. The outlet I'm using is the most convenient location compared to the other grounded outlet, but there's one problem (that is, if it's even a problem): this outlet shares the same circuit as the light switch I mentioned already. If I move the surge suppressor to any other outlet, then I can flip that switch on and off all day without hearing it. That's because the other outlets are not on the same circuit.

So, if this circuit gets tripped, then I lose power at this outlet and the light switch also loses power. That's because the light switch is wired through the outlet (but behind it).

So, I'm saying that the outlet you're using is on the same circuit as that light switch.

• Rep+

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
So, I'm saying that the outlet you're using is on the same circuit as that light switch.
alright, we had a electrician break the circuits up into sections of the house, so for example if a device is faulty in the kitchen it wont cause the entire house to lose power, i think they are still all connected to the same circuit the light switch is on, hence why experiencing problems with speakers,

it's not as bad as our last house was though, any random device would interfere with the speakers,

house wiring is just better with this house, but i am not sure if we can get a electrician to put the lights onto a different circuit, i will have to inquire about that

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,934 Posts
Quote:

alright, we had a electrician break the circuits up into sections of the house, so for example if a device is faulty in the kitchen it wont cause the entire house to lose power, i think they are still all connected to the same circuit the light switch is on, hence why experiencing problems with speakers,

it's not as bad as our last house was though, any random device would interfere with the speakers,

house wiring is just better with this house, but i am not sure if we can get a electrician to put the lights onto a different circuit, i will have to inquire about that
Well, then the only solution is to use a different outlet. If that means that you have to use an extension cord to extend the surge suppressor's reach (with a 3-prong extension cable), then do so. By that, I mean to extend the surge suppressor's own power cable.

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
use a different outlet, preferably on a different circuit. Aside from that you can get a filtered outlet or power conditioner. They'll be more expensive than your speakers were though

·
Registered
1,129 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Actually, I saw an awesome deal on a pure sine wave regeneration UPS the other day - let me try to find it...

EDIT: Shoot, price is back up now... These beasts were $99 for about a week, I know several guys that picked them up for FOH duty. http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=103002716-6591 In all fairness, the OP probably does not have an L5-30P socket around, which is the exact same reason I didnt grab one.

Actually, check this out: pure sine wave output on both line and battery power - http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...50XL-R&cat=UPS

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have managed to reduce this problem allot by using another outlet, and plugging a surge protector into that outlet, plugging it into another outlet wasn't enough, the surge protector is what helped even more

(before it was plugged into power board surge protector that also had the monitor, tower connected to it)

(just updating an old thread with new info)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts