Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I need to have a raid 0 setup with 2 velociraptors 300gb?

addition:

what is much more better option?
1. 2x RaptorX 150gb in Raid0 for OS
and 1 velociraptor 300gb for other application

VS

2. 2x Velociraptor 300gb both for OS and Other application.

thanks for any proven info.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well that's a matter of money and preference.

Option 1: Considering that your sig-rig already has a WD150, the best cheap option would be to put it in a raid array with another WD150. This array then will be used for your OS and programs. This will not be as fast as 2 300Gb raptors, but a lot cheaper.

For your other file's I would suggest a ordinary 7200rpm drive. The speed of these is fast enough for storage. I would suggest a WD5000AAKS or a HE103UJ.

Option 2: Also an option is to get, two 300Gb Raptors and put them in a Matrix Raid array.
200Gb raid 0 for your OS and Programs & 400GB normal/Raid0/JBOD for files.
The speed of your Raid0 space will be somewhat like this.

This options can provide some redundancy for your files, if a raid 1 is used for the file partition.

Option 3: The third and last options is to abandon the Raptors and get a SSD for your OS and programs. Along side this one you could get a 7200rpm drive for your files. This option is the most "future proof" considering that SSD are slowly but surely replacing hard drives. The only drawback is the price per GB and limited storage space. But the price's of SSD are getting lower by the day, so you could in a while get another one and put it in a Raid array for even faster speeds. I would suggest a OCZSSD2 or a X25-M, but this depends on your budget.

The X25-M

I hope that this helps to make a choice.

Greetings.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
All you need are the drives. There's a setting in bios to set to "RAID" to enable the raid controller, and a keystroke to press at bootup to enter it (CTRL+I on my mobo). If your going to have a seperate partition for your OS create that first (it will be at the outer edge of the disks where its fastest) then create the other with the space thats left. Vista does have raid drivers but Intels are better, I would use the ones that came with your board or get the latest from Intel.

Personally I'd go with a small partition for the OS (40GB) with a smaller stripe and the rest for games/media, ect with the largest stripe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts